1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Qualtiy of KT Dreamworks LED Mirror covers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NoMoShocks, Mar 16, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I read the whole thread on the LED mirror mods and see that several ordered from optionamber on ebay AKA Tommy. I am wondering if anyone else found blemishes in their mirror covers recieved.

My first set arrived with obvious damage to the packaging. A sharp object had obviously peirced the shipping label, invoice, cartain and eventually made contact with the painted finish on the mirror. The paint looked great, and matched great, but had a few minor scratches on the left side cover.

I felt bad complaining, but my 2007 has less than 4000 miles, and no other scratches (yet) that I know of.
    I brought the situation to Tommy's attention and he was very quick to offer replacements and pay my return shipping.

The problem is, I got the second set yesterday, and this time, the right side has dimples in the moded plastic in the locations where the standoffs are provided inside for the screws, plus on random void just at the edge where the LED lens starts. I feel bad telling Tommy their is yet another problem, but these blemishes look about as bad as the two chips on the first set. Next think I did was go through all his now 44 feedbacks that are 100 % posative, and I didn't even find the slightest rumble about anyone else noting any quality issues. I don't want to me the first one to put in feedback that is less than 100 percent.

So I wrote again explaining the problem and said too bad I didn't keep the right one from the first set to go with this good left one from the second set. Now, I will check and see if he has responded yet, back in a second.

No, no response yet guys. I am sure I will get a good response from Tommy, becuase he seems like a responsible ebayer, but I know several of you have been through this waiting process, and I can really use your support to keep me sane while I wait to see what Tommy will say. I think I need a hug!

I hope he offers to send the left mirror cover from the first set back, so I can at least install one to passify me for a week while I wait. Then I can just make left turns only for a week or so. and three lefts can make a right.

Thanks to all who figured this mod out. I can hardly wait to modify my long tie wrap to fish the wires though the doors flexible wiring sleeves (I think FWS is the technical acronym), I will be sure to snap in the top of the new covers first, and maybe with a little lubrication around the edges. I don't think I will really need to put in fuses, because I have no doubt that the wires I splice into will be fused from the main pannel already for the existing signals.

I will probably hide wires for my ScanGuage II, and Garman Nuvi Navigation and an EV Switch all at the same time. I have the Toyota Navigation, but I found out I like the Nuvi better because is speaks street names for all turns, and I have the real time traffic alert add on. As far as I can tell, the traffic button on the Toyota audio system just locates stations that broadcast traffic reports when they get a Round 2IT.

2. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pictures of the defects would help us all. I have the mirror backs installed and had no problems. I also had the clear bra installed on them to protect them from chips.

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm sure Tommy will accomodate you. He has been very helpful in the past.
    Good luck on your install and glad the instructions helped.

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Mar 18 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]407836[/snapback]</div>
    You are correct about Tommy being very helpful. He did agree to let me return just the bad one and will send me back the good right side one from the first set I returned. I tried to take some pictures of the dimples in my mirror cover, but I don't think they will show up on the film very well.

Really, I just think it was a fluke that I got two bad sets in a row. I have already installed the drivers side, and it works great. Fishing the wires through the mirror pivot and door wire way is FUN FUN FUN.