1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

quantifying cost of emissions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fyaeger, Sep 2, 2004.

1. fyaeger

fyaeger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [font=Comic Sans MS:58dc0f34b8] [/font:58dc0f34b8] Anyone know a way to calculate the cost of a given amount of emissions?

If there was a way to do that, then we could see the savings of a Prius over other cars, similar to the way mpg of different cars lets you calculate the relative cost/savings for fuel.

The US government website, http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ (click "find and compare cars") calculates the fuel consumption, which anyone can easily convert to currency cost, which let's you compare two cars' fuel costs. That site also calculates the tons of emissions produced by different cars. So, you CAN compare the emissions of different cars that way. But, how can we get the cost in currency of a ton of car emission? Without that info, I dont think people can easily nor accurately perceive the importance of emissions saved with a Prius.

Anyone know the cost of a ton of car emissions?

I googled for that info. Found some relevant hits, but they did not have a cost expressed in a way that I could understand. Sure, I realize that calculating such a cost is probably not easy and might be subject to dispute. But, ya gotta start somewhere and go from there.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I'm sure some research organization has done swags on this; but it's got to be difficult. Think of how many areas "cost" gets into:
    • Medical cost of illness due to <amount> of emissions
    • Maintenance/cleaning costs for <amount> of emissions
    • Agricultural costs due to <amount> of emissions, directly or via weather changes

• I think you see my point. Plus, the costs have to be compared to what the cost of reducing emissions to a lower level -- both the benefits and the expense.

Makes me glad that I went into a relatively easy profession: software.

3. fyaeger

fyaeger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [font=Comic Sans MS:950816160c] [/font:950816160c]Come to think of it, some or all those types of costs may be associated with the process of manufacturing gasoline, and they are not figured into the cost of a gallon of gas. But, they should be. Still, I'd like to see a swag or two for emission costs. A place to start is better than no estimate at all. :|