1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quarter Mile times?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by senectus, Mar 1, 2005.

1. senectus

senectus New Member

8) I was wondering if anyone knows the typical Quater Mile times to be expected for the 05 Prius?

I love my new Prius, but it's taking a while to get used to the lack "back in your seat" type power.... :mrgreen:

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota says 10.1 for the 0-60. Could not find anything in Road and Track for the standing quarter but here is Car and Driver:
    ACCELERATION Seconds
    Zero to 30 mph 3.4
    40 mph 5.6
    50 mph 8.2
    60 mph 11.3
    70 mph 15.3
    80 mph 20.5
    90 mph 27.6
    100 mph 39.6
    Street start, 5–60 mph 11.3
    Top-gear acceleration, 30–50 mph 5.5
    50–70 mph 7.9
    Standing 1/4-mile 18.3 sec @ 76 mph
    Top speed (governor limited) 104 mph

BRAKING
    70–0 mph @ impending lockup 184 ft

HANDLING
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.76 g
    Understeer minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
    EPA city driving 59 mpg
    EPA highway driving 51 mpg
    C/D-observed 42 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
    Idle, internal-combustion engine off 31 dBA
    Idle, internal-combustion engine on 45 dBA
    Full-throttle acceleration 70 dBA
    70-mph cruising 69 dBA

SFO likes this.
  3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always wondered that also.Maybe I could take one for a test drive :wink: some Sunday to the track(National Trails Raceway is nearby). Hehehe.

4. senectus

senectus New Member

Heh.. I'm tempted as well..
    Not sure I could handle the rezzing afterwards though :-P
    Especially seeing as my last car was a 13 sec car :)

5. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but on a handicap start,just think of the guy waiting for his green to come on, :lol:

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dude, many many years ago in a galaxy far far away in a galaxy called lower Michigan in a place near Hillsdale Michigan there were a few College students one of whom had a SAAB 86 with a 865 cc 2 cycle engine that we took to the local drags. Say Handicap start. We were racing GTO, Vets etc you get the picture. The bottom line is we won! A lot ! Two things in our favor a two cycle engine (ring a ding ding) and a huge lead. The only other 850 cc engine on the road was the Fiat 850 four cycle no contest. Good times we were invited back with out fees again and again. A crowd favorite! We took turns running the car.
    So we do a few cc more than that but look at it like this we got a 91.4 cu. in engine. Challenge to someone with the sole of a poet, put 91.4 to the Beach Boys 409!

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Henry some times what you sayon PC seems incongrious to your deamenor in person. This was a good one. I enjoyed it.

8. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Quarter Mile Times?

When I first read that the thought that entered my head was that someone was writing of the useful life of the Goodyear Integrity tires.

Okay, so all seriousness, the Prius has enough acceleration to outrun most of the lumbering herd since most of them accelerate around here to help conserve some fuel. The people who outrun a Prius on the street also grind to a sudden stop at a red traffic light. They don't coast.

So now I blow past everyone from the light and thaty catch up as I glide along up to that next stop. Why drive up to it?

Actually, considering the tiny engine and its load, the the entire package really does well. The large electric motor adds acceleration zip and the transmission is smooth as silk. What you feel from a dead stop is the ICE startup bump, that is it.

There is no smoother transmission around.

9. senectus

senectus New Member

Oh I'm not planning on doing it because I want the car to be a Uber quick race car..
    I'm just doing it for interests sake..

I might do two runs I think.. One "as is" and one with as much of the insides removed as possible.. (ie seats/spare tyre etc)

Should be interesting to do this just the once.. after that I'll be happy to go back to just enjoying driving around and truly sexy car :-D

10. Frank Hudon

fastest times will be with the car in S4 coming to a stop from more than 25 miles an hour with the car in "B" mode. This will have the ICE running so MG1 is already spinning backwards and putting out some power and then when you launch the MG1 doesn't have to reverse direction to start charging. Might not be a big difference it the quarter times but in a car of this capability every little bit helps.

11. senectus

senectus New Member

12. Frank Hudon

4th stage of operation, full hybrid. it's in the data base.
    engine temp 70C+
    BSOC 55% or better
    road speed of 70KM or more than 10 seconds full stop.

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert Taylor\";p=\"68574)</div>
    I have made a game of nodding to the driver of the sports car at the stoplight. Just a friendly 'hi.' Then the light turns green and they shoot off while I accelerate briskly but not excessively. They race to the next light and slam on their brakes; I coast. Several seconds later, I roll up to the light, come to a stop, look over and nod. Just a friendly 'hi'. And we start over.

Yeah yeah, Evan. I know what you're thinking and on a good day I time it so that I don't have to stop at the light at all.

14. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Prius official measured times using an atomic clock synched with NIST. The test was done at sea level to eliminate any altitude effects.
    Special fans were brought in and placed completely around the track to bring effect wind benefit/drag to 0.
    Portable humidifies and dehumidifiers were placed within the area to maintain a constant humidity of 53.8%
    The track surface was specially laid to minimize tire slippage while not creating excessive friction.
    The tires were inflated to 42lbs of pressure on the LF, 44 on the LR, 41.89 on the RF and 43.78 on the RR to maximize speed while also correcting for the curvature of the earth.
    The area was cleared of all types of insects that might cause speed loss on impact.

17 runs were made with the top two and bottom two discarded the rest were averaged and the results were:

Test---------- Time
    0-60---------- An Afternoon

Sorry...talking about performance and the Prius just cracks me up. It's a nice car, it does some things very well. It is responsive enough to not be unsafe around town and on U.S. Highways.

Just having some fun.

SFO likes this.
  15. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ken S\";p=\"68679)</div>
    How did you keep the constant humidity and the lack of insects? Race inside a dome? :lol:

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"68563)</div>
    i think the secret is out Frank... Henry was a WILD CHILD!!

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not Wild just a little loose around the edges. No one ever caught me, never convicted, do have a FBI file but who didn't back in the 60's Tricky Dick was paranoid.