1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Query on body work considerations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by primo, Sep 22, 2008.

1. primo

primo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello,
    I live in Italy and while passing on my garage main door I hit my Prius and damaged the rear left door and part of the body side, close to the left rear weel.
    The question is very simple, hope anybody out there can help me. I've asked for a price to Toyota body shop and the same to a no-brand body shop (a friend of mine) and this resulted on almost the double price for Toyota vs. no brand. Body work should include replacement of the left rear door, partial cut and weld to recover from the scratched part on the back left, painting rear left door and left side painting (front and back door and part of the rear body).
    Considering that I'm more confident on body work of my friend than on Toyota body shop (I've no feedbacks since is pretty far from me) I'm trying to understand if there are any special rules when having a Prius on body work.
    I mean, usually, from what I know a body work on a standard car means 12V battery unplugged to avoid discharging and or problems with electric equipments while welding.
    Are there any special instructions or considerations when having a Prius under body work? Unplug auxiliary 12V battery is enough? Any considerations about main battery or other equipments?

Thanks in advance.

2. primo

primo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hello again,
    As per previous question. Does any body know the body shop preparation steps on Prius when doing complex body work (i.e. welding)? Any suggestion?
    Thanks.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you subscribe to the Toyota Europe tech docs website so that you can download the Prius body repair manual and provide to your friend. Good luck with your repair.

Toyota Service Information