1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about 100K service...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Jul 5, 2012.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

So our 2008 prius is coming up on her 100K service. I have been doing all of the work so far (not that much need to be done on these cars), but I need some advice on parts and fluids. So far we have not had any problems with our car. No decreased mileage or weird engine sounds.

I missed the transaxle fluid drain and replace that should of happened at 60K I think (I don't have the service schedule in front of me) and now I am kicking myself. We don't do fast driving or extreme weather, but about 100 miles per day (mostly freeway 55-65mph).

I need to buy transaxle fluid and after reading the stickies, I took a step back and was like, I better go get my PhD in fluid dynamics before I try to do this, but then I though maybe someone could just let me know what I should buy and use? So any help would be appreciated. I don't mind the dealer or buying toyota stuff, but do want to be taken advantage of. I have a pending amazon.com order that I can add to so if I can get it from there, that would be great too.

Spark plugs. What are people liking to put into their cars? Is there anything special about replacing these in a Prius? I know that there is an aluminum head so I usually apply anti-seize if not on the plugs already and dielectric grease to the ceramic body so the boots slide on and off better. Tork setting for the plugs?

PCV valve. Will anyone do? I found the following on amazon that says it will fit my car.

Beck Arnley 045-0329 PCV Valve

Amazon.com: Beck Arnley 045-0329 PCV Valve: Automotive

Lastly, any links to how to drain and change the transaxle fluid, change the spark plugs, and PCV valve would be great. If you think there is an aftermarket service manual that is worth it (In the past I have bought some real STINKERS!) please let me know.

-Steve

2. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would stick with OEM TOYOTA PCV valve. It's not expensive anyway. As for spark plugs, I always used NGK in all my cars and never had problems.

Thanks,
    - Alex

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    ATF - Use Toyota type WS ATF (about a gallon is required as are washers for the drain and fill plugs). You need a funnel with a short tube to make refill easy, just fill to overflow. Its a good idea to loosen the fill plug before draining. My dealer charges only $100 for the job and half of that is the ATF.

I had the dealer do the plugs at 100k and 200k miles - lazy I guess.

Replacing the PCV valve is a pain, lots of stuff in the way, but it is a good idea.

There are downloadable technical manuals at:

Documentazione Tecnica Prius 2006

Prius V.2 Documentazione Tecnica Prius 2004
    Documentazione Tecnica Prius 2004

manual pdfs are in english
    The 2004 manual covers 2004-2005 Prii
    The 2006 manual covers 2006-2009 Prii

JeffD

4. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the advice. I just looked at my service manual and it never says to change the transaxle fluid only to check it. Is this right?
    Steve

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is correct that the maintenance schedule does not require transaxle ATF fluid changes.

Nevertheless, based upon a history of early Classic transaxle failures and used ATF fluid testing which shows substantial copper and iron deposits in the used fluid, a number of Prius owners decided that it would not hurt - and might help, transaxle longevity if the ATF was replaced at intervals ranging from 30K to 60K miles. My personal practice is to change the transaxle ATF at 30K mile intervals.