1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about 17 inch Scion TC wheels...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vinnysca, Sep 3, 2006.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

For those of you who have upgraded to 15, 16, or 17 inch wheels on your Prius, how did you remove the old tire sensor and put it on your new sets of wheels? I would like to upgrade my wheels in the near future and don't want to pay the over 80 bucks a wheel sensor and calibration, programming that one would have to go through with the dealership.

Lastly, would the bigger wheels screw up your computer, especially if your sensor was from a 15 incher? Would you just ignore the mpg stats then? Would reprogramming do the trick?

Vince. :rolleyes:

2. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Vinny,
    I recently added tC 17 Rim take-offs. These take offs which I found on Ebay for about $689 came with tires already. Upon installation the mechanic at my local 'Firestone' told me that the 'old sensors' from my Prius rims would not fit snugly in the new Scion Wheels. I checked with two of my local Toyota dealer service centers and confirmed that the stock Prius sensors can only fit the smaller 15" rims. Left with no choice and really wanting my rims i went ahead with the install ($30 total). My tC rims came already balanced so i didn't have to do anything except for swap them out. Since the sensors are not in the wheels but the car looks for them you'll probably have to get around the fact that the 'Tire Sensor' light on your Heads up display will be lit most of the time. It's a really small icon and i personally don't have any problems that it's lit.

Note: With respect to the Scion tC rims. They are heavier than your stock rims. I've 'felt' the difference as well as noted a 2-3mpg hit while driving. However my traction and handling is GREATLY improved.

Cheers,
    Mark

3. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Sep 3 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]313677[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Mark,

I really like those TC rims, but I know that I'll be bothered by that warning light when I drive. Maybe I can just put black tape over it. :D Or, maybe I'll wait till someone posts a hack solution to turning off that warning light.

Vince.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought all cars starting 06 MY need to have Tire Pressure Monitoring system. If that is the case, wouldn't 06 Scion rim/tire come with the sensor already? Just a thought.

Dennis

5. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not quite sure what MY stands for but i think DocVijay went and spent $200 on new sensors for his Scion tC rims but told me that it wasn't worth it. Anyways he got some forged centerline 17" rims now.

Note: The picture shows the light that will come on if the sensors are not registered by the internal computer.

Attached Files:

6. NineToez

NineToez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Sep 3 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]313677[/snapback]</div>
    That's it?!? That's not too bad for the upgraded "look" and performance as well.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the angle of the sensor has to match the angle of the wheel... which means you might have to buy new sensors, and have them all registered at the dealer... and i'm really not surprised that they don't end up being worth it.

rims and sensors are sold separately, sensors are not actually a part of the rims.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Sep 5 2006, 03:50 AM) [snapback]314428[/snapback]</div>
    MY=Model Year. Sorry. My icon is like that too. It first blinks and then stays on. When the snow comes, I am going to swich back to the stock rims/tire (still with the sensors) and it is better to be safer in the winter.

Dennis

9. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Sep 5 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]314690[/snapback]</div>

I just checked with the Scion site and the 2006 models come standard with tire pressure monitors like the Prius. I wonder if they'll work with the Prius?

I do plan to keep my factory tires during Winter driving (I probably won't be driving my Prius much in the snow, since I have a truck too), but would like to have those Scion wheels. :p

Maybe I'll email a Scion dealer and ask about them wheels. :unsure:

Vince.

10. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's a pic of my tC rims for those that are wondering what it's like.

Attached Files:

11. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Sep 6 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]314986[/snapback]</div>
    Looks very nice on the Prius! Did you buy those from the dealership? I'm still waiting to see if I can buy them with sensors already put on them.

Thanks!

Vince.

12. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope got them off of Ebay for $700 total after shipping. And they had the tires on them. Tires i specifically were searching for because I've heard horrors about the OEM Portenza tires that normally come with these wheels. I doubt the sensors would come with it. But it really doesn't matter to me. As i said i bought a $5 gauge that has dial to actually tell me how much pressure the tire has from Kragon Autoparts.

13. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Sep 6 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]315506[/snapback]</div>

I too, kinda prefer to check my tire pressures monthly on my cars. If you stumble upon how to disable the warning light, let us know.

Vince.