1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about a used Prius five for sale - strange options avail

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by markinsocal, Dec 8, 2012.

1. markinsocal

markinsocal New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm new here and am looking at potentially buying a Prius - either new or 1-2 years old with few miles.
    I came across a used Prius for sale, and am a little confused - wanted to know if anyone else could help me figure out if this is a standard prius or if many modifications have been made - anything to look out for.

So - the used prius I'm looking at is a 2012, under 10k miles, and it is described (and has pictures confirming) as having the "Sport" package. In pictures, the word "Sport" is easily visible under the Prius tags. The wheels are 8 spoke alloy with low profile tires. Don't think it is lowered. It has navigation, and, somewhat strangely, also has a sunroof/moonroof, but not the solar powered one that I know is a standard (but pricey) option.

I'm a little confused, because from all my research I have yet to find a Prius "Sport" - or any with "Sport" under the Prius labels. I've heard of the "plus" package, but not this. I also haven't seen any 2012 models with normal sunroofs/moonroofs - only the huge solar powered ones.

The car looks pretty cool, and seems a pretty good deal, but I'm just a little leery of a model that seems so non-standard. It's from a non-local dealer, so I haven't yet seen it in person, and they aren't normally a toyota dealer - it was a trade in.
    Does anyone here know if this is a standard type of prius? or if anything seems weird here? things I should look out for? The sunroof/moonroof really confuses me, I literally haven't seen that in other prius models.

Should a "sport" package increase the price? Decrease it? Affect warrantee?

Thanks for any input!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a 'Touring' label I've seen on Prius in the USA... But not 'Sport.'

Where are you located? Does "markinsocal" mean Southern California? And what does "non-local dealer" mean? It's hard to answer unless you define your geography.

Where does it say "sport" on the car? If you can do a screen grab/get a pic of the "Sport" logo and upload it to google images you'll likely find a link that connects that logo to a different vehicle... Likewise, I highly doubt a new Prius would ever be sold with low-profile tires, which will cause a big hit in MPG, as well as not last very long. What's the brand of those tires?

Did you do a title check on the vehicle yet?

After Huricane Sandy there's gonna be a huge number of flood damaged cars that have been written off as destroyed yet are now being successfully sold to uneductated buyers all over the country.

Hope that helps...

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe a Three or Four with Solar Roof and the Prius Performance Plus Package added?

You can't get a model Five with a solar roof. You can only get that option on a Three or Four.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Opi just noticed you said it is not from the area. It may be a Gulf States TSS Edition car which means it could have the Sport Package. It's sorta like the Performance package but has different wheels and no rear sway bar.

Prius TSS

image.jpg

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just saw this regarding new Prius with the "sport" package, so disregard my comments, I guess it really is the real deal... It's kinda of a contradiction of terms though... I mean a "Sport Prius" that's not really possible is it?
    Few problems with new 2012 Sport Prius | PriusChat

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever driven one with 17" wheels and lowering springs?

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greetings F8L,

I'm sure it drives better than then I can imagine, but on a racetrack in true "sport" conditions it's a non-starter...

I mean what good is a sports car with a traction control system that won't let you drift, let alone spin the tires a little while accelerating out of a corner... And no clutch? No downshifting as you enter into the corner? Please... This is a silly gimmick...

And yes, if I won the lottery It'd probably be the first car I'd buy cause it'd be a fun way to drive around town while still getting great gas mileage... But seriously... Why would anyone buy a Prius to drive fast?