1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about aftermarket radio with JBL speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jonah.borgenicht, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jonah.borgenicht

jonah.borgenicht Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi there,

I recently purchased a Sony WX900-BT radio for my 2008 Prius with the 9-speaker JBL sound system. As I pulled the stock headunit out, I noticed the connectors on the car itself didn't match with the connectors on my wiring harness. I haven't been able to find any other information as to why that is or where I could find a harness that fits. Some assistance would be appreciated.

--Jonah

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you don't find a ready-made harness, the wiring diagram on techinfo.toyota.com will have enough information to roll your own, though it's tedious....

-Chap

3. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up a radiopro4 from Crutchfield. It's almost plug and play, and will add some features like the oscillator for setup lockout that's only available if the car is in park. You should also be able to use the factory bracket (I bought the Metra one) and you'll need a 300mf resistor so that the climate controls still work (that also came with the metra kit).

SFO likes this.
  4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of info on the JBL system here: Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos

The JBL system has an amplifier underneath the passenger's seat that connects to the 9 speakers (7 channels).

The JBL speakers aren't compatible with 99% of aftermarket headunits without:

1. An adapter kit to connect the amplifier
    2. Resistors, crossovers and added wiring to connect the speakers (the 2 ohm woofers need added resistors to work with 4 ohm minimum on most headunits, the tweeters need crossovers to keep from blowing from low frequencies)

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there is an adapter module which will interface the aftermarket head unit with the JBL amp. without that module, I don't believe any aftermarket head unit will work with the JBL amp. to replace or bypass the amp, you'd about have to rewire the whole system.