1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question About Automatic Light Control & Running Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gblatt, Jul 5, 2005.

1. gblatt

gblatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 2005 Owner's Manual has information about automatic light control and running lights but I haven't been able to figure out which model options provides these features. I have package 6 and they aren't included as an option in that package.

As I recall I Canadian vehicles had running lights as a standard equipment. Is this a regional thing that isn't available on the east coast maybe?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Question About Automatic Light Control & Running Lig

[font=Comic Sans MS:a7b4c437ff]Welcome to PriusChat, gblatt. Congratulations on your new car! :party:

The driving lights are regional - the US region doesn't get them, nor the automatic light control. The Owner's Manual is written for anybody who reads English, or Janglish in some cases, and several parts don't apply to US cars.

With package 6 you have HID headlights. The Canadian halogen headlights run at reduced power for running lights. Drive with your HIDs on all the time if you want to, they are 35W versus the 55W halogens.[/font:a7b4c437ff]

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The manual's written for Norh America hence their disclaimer of things shown may not be applicable to your vehicle. DRL and Automatic Headlights are in Canada only.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Bill has it right. Canadians don't have HID because they require running lights, and although something could have been worked out to have running lights along with HID, Toyota chose not to.
    But since we don't require running lights, we instead were given the option of HID, and no option of running lights.
    Although they really should be separate systems, Toyota paired the running lights with full-auto lights.

I believe the programming for full auto is in the body ECU even in the US, just as the alarm programming is there no matter what package you have. It's just a matter of knowing what allows it to be enabled. I would say having the light sensor would do it, however a DTC is normally set when that fails, so there has to be more to it than that. Might be a combination of wiring and undocumented THHT customizing setting.