1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about brakes and motor noise under hood

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kirbinster, Jul 17, 2005.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I bet someone can explain this too me real easy. I have an '02 Prius and was sitting in the garage waiting for my wife with the car in the acc position. I pumped the brake pedal 6 or 8 times and then heard some sort of motor run under the hood that sounded almost like an air compressor. It ran for about 8 seconds then stopped. I tried it again and sure enough after 8 pedal pushes heard the motor noise again. Each time I hit about 8 pedal pushes I would hear a motor noise. Anyone have a clue what is going on here and why this causes something to run under the hood????

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:4f6243df8f]Brake assist pressure pump. When you press on the brake pedal, it uses pressure from the storage tank used to give you assisted braking. When you get it low enough, 8 pushes, the electric motor automatically tops up the assistive pressure. Not to worry, it's normal.[/font:4f6243df8f]

3. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Thanks, figured it was something like that but could not find anything in the owners manual about it - surprise surprise ;)

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    kirbinster wins. Bill answered that one real easy.

Now for the bonus points question:

Do ‘04+ Prii with SKS anticipate the driver using the car?</span>

I have often noticed the brake accumulator motor do its thing as soon as I get within SKS range of the driver door. The percentage of times I hear the accumulator motor seems to represent not-by-chance occurrences.

The scenario: After the car has sat for several hours and I approach the driver’s door, before I even get a chance to grab the door handle, the motor starts whizzing away. I have not tried this with the passenger door, hatch, or pushing the unlock button.

So, for all of my PriusChat points . . .

[One entry per contestant. Cut and pasted documented proof with hyperlink required - in absence of hyperlink proof, confirmation from a resident PriusChat Prius Tech required. No purchase necessary. All submissions become the property of PriusChat (except for the actual hyperlink and pasted proof). Final arbitrator of any dispute shall be <span style=\'color:red\'>Danny

:wink:

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i love your disclaimer, sufferin' :lol:

i wonder if that's true! i'll ask my husband about it when he gets home from work. he spends his free time asking questions to the resident prius tech... :)

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:0240566608]Thanks Galaxee. I've experienced what you have, Sufferin', where the car starts doing things and making noises simply because I'm near it. I also think some things are triggered by the car sensing your hand on the door handle, but that could just be a timing issue from sensing the fob.

So, the Silver Cloud asks, are you happy to see me or is that a fob in your pocket?[/font:0240566608]
    [hr:0240566608]No animals were harmed in the writing of this message.[hr:0240566608]