1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about brakes in a Gen II Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by leblanctj, Nov 18, 2011.

1. leblanctj

leblanctj New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2008 Prius that now has 52,000 miles. Recently, I've noticed a very slight squeal coming from one of the wheels when I first apply my brakes.
    I haven't noticed any change in the stopping power or stopping distance.
    Is this a sign that I need to have my brake pads replaced? From what I've read on the forums, most people are able to get more than 50,000 miles out of their brakes before needing any type of service. Should I bring my car back to a Toyota dealer for service?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Could also be rust on the rotors, or rust/lack of lubricant on the slide pins. If the former, try putting the car in Neutral at about 45 mph and braking moderately to a stop a few times. If the latter, it will need attention from a technician, unless you have done that sort of work before.

Maybe the rural postal carriers here could chime in, but that type of use is the only that I can think of that would have pads being replaced at 50,000 miles under normal usage.

1 person likes this.
  3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I second seilerts' assessment. While not unheard of to have bad brake wear if you're a very aggressive accelerator/braker, it is highly unusual. In fact the most common issue is that rust builds up b/c the friction brakes are used so little. His "polishing" technique is exactly what I'd try.

1 person likes this.