1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question About Buying A Used 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Grocked, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Grocked

Grocked Green Patriot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife and I are thinking about buying a used 2001 Prius with 73,000 miles. The dealership will be replacing the HYBRID battery (the main expensive one) with a "new" one before selling the car to us. The previous owner sold the car back to the dealership because the battery died and it was out of warranty. The dealership is asking $8,000 plus taxes and fees, almost $9,000 total. Should I be concerned they are putting in a refurbished battery? The car has been regularly maintained at this dealership. Other than the battery is there anything we should be concerned about on this Prius? Engine, brakes, rotors etc...? Thanks!

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I can't answer your question but ouch, battery "died"? What does that mean exactly? 73000 miles really isn't very much.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Make sure the HSD fluid was changed regularly, at least every 60,000 mi. Better at 40,000 mi. The first gen had issues with that.

Yes, the batteries of the first gen are starting to fail. We second gen owners are hoping the improvements between first and second gen will result in much longer life for -our- batteries.

With a "new" battery and a cost of about $9000 it isn't a bad deal.

4. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would ask to see the physical battery before it's installed just to be sure.

why not look at a 2004 gen 2? they can be had not for a decent bargain since oil has dropped.

the 2001 is getting long in the tooth.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the dealer is installing a traction battery that came from a Toyota parts depot, that is good.

The transaxle is another potential failure point and this is very costly to replace at the dealer. I suggest you ask for the transaxle ATF fluid to be changed and the transaxle drain pan cleaned, as part of the deal, if you plan to purchase that car.

If the car has been regularly maintained then the iridium spark plugs and coolants should have been replaced at 60K miles. Suggest you verify this is the case; if not ask the dealer to have that done before you accept delivery. Good luck.