1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Canadian prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Dominic, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, here it is.

just bought a 2010 prius from a dealership in canada. I got the technology package with sunroof and solar panels (the most expensive that was supposed to be full equipped)

when i received it last wednesday, i started reading the manual.

i noticed that:

1- i didn't have USB or LKA. those were actually two things i was looking forward to.

when i mentionned that to the dealer, they barely knew what i was talking about. then they said that those options were not available on canadian prius.

any truth to that or do they just don't know what they are talking about again?

2. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment. I am looking at the Canadian brochure again and no where inside does it mention about LKA. We have PCS (Pre-collision System) which is the intelligent cruise control to keep your car from a distance away from the car in front of you. I think the LKA in the US is different and more than the PCS. May be someone else from the US can tell us more here.
    As regards to your USB question, the audio system of the Canadian models doesn't have the USB plug on the system itself. It only has an audio cable input which is inside the center arm console. You must also buy your own cable.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You have the radar assisted cruise and parking assist, but LKA is not available in Canada. There is an excellent list on the Toyota Canada website under "options" for the Prius. It lists the options for each model. LKA isn't in any of them and neither is USB. You can get an aftermarket USB that plugs into the accessory jack. It also contains some memory, uses an infrared remote, and will accept a memory card.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol... I thought thet plate looked like a NS plate (on FB). Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

We don't have LKA. The US is the only country that gets LKA (yes, even Japan doesn't get it). We don't have the plasmacluster ionizer either.

I'm surprised we didn't get the USB upgrade that the US did. There have been two price increases since launch and I thought one of them was to include the USB (since the base model wasn't touched in the first increase, only the packages with the JBL audio).

Makes me glad I snagged one of the first few.

5. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LKA is nifty, but not a drop-dead must-have feature; you're not missing too much. It sometimes yells at me when in the lane, it doesn't yell at me when I drift out of the lane, and it loses sight of the lane markers pretty frequently, like every time I go under a bridge (which casts a shadow on the road). It does make driving long distances a little bit less fatiguing, since it does some of the steering effort, though.

Besides, if Canada's anything like Wisconsin, then any time the lane markers aren't covered by snow, they're rendered inaccurate by orange construction barrels. :D

6. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I thought that this was not possible because the Aux input is Audio only vs the USB who needs to have power to it also (5V i believe)

you got a link for yours?

7. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On a side note, has the "remote engine start" been removed from the options list in NS? I can't find it when I go to build my 2010, but when I built one last fall (2009) it was on the 2010's....might be gone?

8. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the same package as yours. I found that there are so many blank covers for the missing buttons (one of them is for the LKA). I'm ok with that cause I'don't really want the car to turn the wheel for me. As a matter of fact, I've never used the parking assist feature. I really don't feel comfortable using them. Makes me feel that this is the beginning of robots taking over this world!

I'm not happy that I don't have the fog lights after paying the most money for a Prius. Those blank covers in grey are really ugly. I'm considering taking them out and putting something else useful/cute in them. I don't really care for fog lights. Who has any idea what should I put in those two holes to make it look better/cuter? Ah, may be animal warning supersonic horn thingies, that looks like mini-misile launchers? Or may be external speakers that plays traditional engines sounds to warn pedestrians nearby cause they don't hear my Prius in EV stealth?:D

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Do a search on google for "MP3 FM Modulator" and you'll find several different models. They get their power from the accessory jack, have a SD card slot and a USB socket along with a remote. Mine was a gift, never used. I drive when I'm driving, rather than listen to music when I'm in the car. ;)

10. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

to answer that one, i can't see it when i check online, however, when i went to the dealership in dartmouth yesterday, they gave me a list of all the "options" that are available for my car.

the engine remote start was there on that list (439$ parts only, 534$ installed).

however, according to that, it would be impossible for me to get fog lights put in... (apparently because there is no wiring for it in the technology package)

11. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks Dominic, that's good to know, as I'd like the remote start for the winter, even though we don't get much snow, its good to have on those few weeks in February when its chilly.

12. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

yeah i was thinking the same thing... however i find the price a little steep... i wonder if we get a discount if we buy 2 at once? :p

13. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah sure, but you'll have to wait till next April bud, that's when my 2011 Blizzard Pearl is expected to arrive, and I'm counting the days.....257.....:eek:

14. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Lane Keep Assist in Canada...with our weather??? Paint quality on the roads?

LKA works well with the embedded reflectors you find in the roads in California, that our snow plows would pluck out.

I just got Premium, having a 6CD mp3 player instead of the 4 cd with the Tech Pkg due to the screen for the GPS.

Some 250 songs fit on a 700meg CD - I dare you to outdrive even one.

Yes, I hate burning CD's, ever since my 2006 Prius and this Prius, the only CD's I've ever burnt were just for the car.

15. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't see myself using the LKA either, but it has nothing to do with weather, we have little to no snow in Nova Scotia and the roads are painted, I just like to steer a car myself when driving, lol.
    I experienced those little road reflectors in Florida, annoying little bump pits on the road, my friend & I had a competition of how many we could miss when lane changing.:rolleyes:

16. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only reason why i was looking forward to the LKA, is that i have a bad habit to fall asleep on highways... especially when travelling NS-Mtl or vice versa...

in my earlier days, there wasn't 1 single trip that i could take without getting in the ditch everytime. (guess i was lucky) now i get the wife to drive highway since i don't know what's wrong with me, but even just 30-45 minutes on highway can put me to sleep!

so the idea of having something to help me stay in my lane on those moments and beep to wake me up sounded very appealing! ;-)

but i guess i'll have to keep letting the wife drive! ;-)

17. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now....if we could just get the Prius to have a "beep" for a "deer detector" when those Bamby's decide to jump onto the road we'd be all set, :p.

18. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now....if we could just get the Prius to have a "beep" for a "deer detector" when those Bamby's decide to jump onto the road we'd be all set, :p.
    Man, you've got it made having the wife drive!!!!
    Must give you a great chance to play with all the Prius gadgets while she's driving.

19. Dominic

Dominic New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL i've been lucky on that side, never hit a deer or even SEEN one while driving! ;-)

as for the wife driving, it was driving me nuts to have her touch everything (from radio, to ac, and everything else) so we made a rule that whoever drives, control the buttons... and the other is not allowed to touch! lol it can be a pain, but since i'm sleeping anyway, i don't mind it too much.