1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about discrepancy of mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mike D, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Mike D

Mike D New Member

We just purchased a used 04 Prius about a week ago and we love it so far. We are retired and make alot of 25 to 50 mile trips. We usually only let it get down to about a half a tank when we fill it up. Every time we check the consumption, we are getting between 51 & 53 MPG which is great but when we fill up and use a calculator, divide the miles by the gal. we are getting only about 45 to 47 MPG even when the average mileage on the consumtion chart and the odometer say the same number of miles the MPG is different. I looked to see if this has been talked about before but didn't find anything. Thanks for any help. Mike D

2. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is some bias error. I've been tracking data for 21 months and my bias is 1.6 MPG. The MFD shows 1.6 mpg better than the calculated (miles driven / gas used) amount. My lifetime actual average is 52.6 MPG so the MFD data is off by about 3%.

My data is on my web site Paul's Prius

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if for example you pull up to a stop light and the ICE still runs, IE: still not into S4, that fuel is included in the MPG readout on the MFD but in reality it's 0 mpg but the mfd calculation doesn't seem to accuratly include it as such. Also another reason is the bladder effect, it's so variable as to introduce some inaccuracy as well. Even if you shut off at the first click any bit of difference in the outside temp has a different affect on the bladder. Then there is the difference between gas pumps, unless you consistantly fuel at the same station and the same pump, you could introduce inaccuracy in your calcuations. The best thing to do is put all the gas vs mileage into a spread sheet and look at it at 1000 miles and see what happens to the difference. Then at 2000, 3000 and on and on and notice what the difference is. Then you could always just ignore it all and just drive the car.

4. chiefseal

chiefseal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just bought an 07 Prius with very low mileage. The on screen fuel consumption program showed it has gotten 44.9 MPG on my first tank of gas, but when I filled up and calculated it myself, it was only 35.5. So I am confused, and a little disappointed. Any thoughts here?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See the active discussion here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/fuel-economy/45932-fuel-refill-vs-display.html