1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Eco mode

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Fil Factor, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Fil Factor

Fil Factor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I just joined the forums; have been reading many of them (very helpful), and just bought my wife a 2012 Prius 3 with solar package, Sea Glass Pearl (it looks amazing to me, and I never used to be that into car colors).

I was pointing out the different driving modes (EV, Eco, and Power), and she asked me, "What is the difference between Eco and "regular" mode (no mode button pushed). I want to be sure I gave her the correct answer: from reading these forums, it appears that Eco allows for a reduced gas engine and AC response at the same throttle level. So, in effect there are four different "modes" altogether. Is this correct?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that's correct, 4 modes. The ECO mode has the slowest throttle pedal response along with the low battery use for the HVAC system.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. It reduces the accelerator pedal sensitivity so that the driver can fine tune the pedal application. I believe this is for the first 50% of travel. The A/C compressor power draw is also reduced (so note that it will take longer to cool down in the summer than in normal mode). In the winter, it's also more aggressive with engine shut-off (lower operating temp threshold).

PWR is the opposite for the pedal and makes it more responsive. A/C compressor operation is not affected.

1 person likes this.
  4. Fil Factor

Fil Factor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for confirming that!

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is a very good article by Hobbit on the HSI. There is also some information about the driving modes.

HSI

6. Fil Factor

Fil Factor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five