1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about EcoMode & Mileage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Livi, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Livi

Livi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Newbie here. Bought a 2011 PriusII this weekend. So far I'm avg. 55 mpg. Today I drove the whole time with EcoMode on and avg. 66 mpg. Question, are there any cons to driving with EcoMode on every time?

Also, was wondering if the mpg changes as the car gets older? Higher or lower mpg?

Thanks

2. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on your new Prius and welcome to PriusChat.

I recommend you use "EcoMode" ALL the time. You won't hurt anything on the car. If maximum MPG's is your goal, don't use "EV" or "PowerMode". EV mode is all electric (after the engine is warmed up) and actually makes MPGs a little less. Power Mode makes the accelerator "very responsive" seeming. This makes your MPGs a little less too. Assuming you maintain your Prius, you will always enjoy great MPGs. Not everyone is getting as good of mileage as you, so weather and driving conditions and habits definitely affect MPGs.

Be sure to read your owner's manual carefully. Sit back, enjoy the ride and have fun in your new Prius.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to consider averages over multiple tanks. A lot of new owners forget to take things like slope, surface, temperature, wind direction and speed, number of short trips and a number of other factors into consideration. All of these can play a role in the mpg you see on your screen. :)

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive in ECO 99.9999% of the time.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No disadvantage to ECO mode. I use it all the time.

If you put your foot down you still get all of the available power for emergency or merging just as you would in the other modes. ECO mode does moderate the AC for economy. If the weather is really hot such as Phoenix or Yuma in August you may want to use Normal mode if the AC doesn't keep you cool enough. I haven't had to do that but some users report they have.

6. Livi

Livi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the great info.