1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about gas milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Alex3280, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Alex3280

Alex3280 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a recent owner of a 2007 base model prius, has 40,000 miles and in good condition. I live in Hazleton,PA. Sort of a hilly place, I do about half city and half highway driving. Averaging speed limit. I get about 39.7 mpg. It is warm up here during summer. Is that correct for the type of terraine n all!? I'm just wondering. This is also my first post. I'm new to this and are full of questions. Also wanted to know does gas addictives help? I usually go to sheets or turkey hill. Thank you

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do a search for "Pulse and Glide". It's the key to higher mileage with Prius. AC, heater, speed, short trips will lower mileage.

Alex3280 likes this.
  4. Alex3280

Alex3280 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One more question, I don't feel like starting a new chat, I doubt any of the filters have been replaced on this car, ANY recommendations for a new engine air filter, and a new cabin air filter? Something good and worth the money without spending to much you know? They are dirty. I swept them out in the meantime

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    For engine air filter, I'd check Amazon and compare to prices at your local auto parts store. I'd also use Amazon price tracker, Amazon price history charts, price watches, and price drop alerts. | camelcamelcamel.com to get an idea if the price is high/low for Amazon, at the time.

Again, please answer the questionnaire. Short drives will kill mileage. Bad alignment, high rolling resistance tires, larger than stock tires, low air pressure, overfilled oil, driving in B mode and many other factors can hurt mileage.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Alex welcome...you will find a wealth of info here if you have time to search. The Q&A questions that CWERDNA posted will help us help you. Your MPG is a little low side, but could be fine depending on your driving style. First 5-10 minutes is always crappy MPG due to warm-up, so lots of shorter trips is one reason for lower MPG. After you will want to make sure they gave you low rolling resistance tires (Goodyear Integrity being OEM tire). You can read here the kind of tires we like in posts. And a new 12v batt sometimes help. Coolerweather of course hurts and it has been cooler this year.