1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about headlights "on" vs. "auto", no warning bell when you leave the car

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Matt M., Mar 16, 2012.

1. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I saw a thread sort of related to this, but it didn't answer my question.

I have a 2012 Prius Four. I know when I put the headlights in "auto", they will turn off 30 seconds (or whatever I change it to) after I turn the car off and get out and close the door. Will they also automatically turn off after 30 seconds if the headlights are set to "on"? I normally leave them in auto, but I have to turn them on sometimes when it's raining during the day. I was kind of surprised that there's no bell that rings when the headlights are set to on when you turn the car off, or when you open the door, like most cars have. So it seems like it would be very easy to accidentally leave the headlights on, especially since now I'm used to seeing them on after I get out because they normally turn off automatically after 30 sec, but I'm afraid if it's raining and I forget to turn them from on back to auto I'll walk away and they won't turn off.

I looked in the manual and didn't find an answer to the question.

(Sorry, I know I could just try it, but I won't be in my car for a while so I thought I would ask if someone happens to know the answer.)

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They should turn off after 30 seconds even if left in the on position after the car is shut down properly and you get out and close the door.

3. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whether your headlight is switch to ON or Auto, the auto OFF feature of the headlight is the same. What is different is the turning ON characteristics here. When the switch is on auto mode, the headlights turn ON automatically depending on the ambient light it receives - turns on automatically when it gets dark/dusk. Although it is easy to forget the headlights on without the warning bell chime, the prius was designed to automatically shut the lights off if you forgot to turn it off. Your prius is smarter than the other cars you have. :)

4. Matt M.

Matt M. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK - thanks for the replies! I guess that explains why there's no warning bell.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I can confirm that it will shut off after the preset time in the ON position.

6. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Mine stays on the Auto position all the time. It always turns itself off after 30 minutes of so. Never fails.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    30 secs you mean? lol