1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about heat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momfortheenvironment, Jul 17, 2006.

1. momfortheenvironment

today it was like 97 degrees f and I seemed to be getting less mileage, I've run it plenty of times with air not in the auto mode but today I seemed to be averaging like 2g less per gallon both ways. Does really high heat matter like the cold? Also I have about 509 m on it. The first time I filled up I think I had 2 squares left on my gas gage, if its about a 12 gallon tank, anyone know when you are down to about a quarter?

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, the AC certainly has an effect. I wonder if tyre friction increases as the rubber gets hotter. That may have some impact. Also, I think the battery is less efficient when it's really hot. Still, it's really hard to say. Tracking all of the variables isn't possible and you're talking about a pretty small change in MPG. The sample set is too small I would think. Now if you're mileage had dropped by 10 MPG or more I think it'd be time to start looking at the possible causes. I wouldn't worry about it unless your mileage continues to drop.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just remember that the higher the outside air temp the harder the AC has to run to maintain your temp...auto AC or not. If the car sat in the sun the battery temp will be up and it will not be as efficient, the fan to cool it will run harder.

All in all the car prefers higher temps, but the things we do to the car can make for poorer performance. I find that I can maintain my mpg fairly well in high temps, but only with longer trips, short trips are a killer b/c the AC runs so hard and I don't have time to cool the battery down.

4. marjam

marjam Member

I agree with Tripp. That is really too small a drop to be really significant. Here in Silver Spring the Outside Temperature read 111 degrees today when I got into the car! Of course it was sitting in the sun. When the air conditioning is on full blast the hybrid battery goes down pretty fast when you are sitting at stop lights but also recovers quickly when you are moving. So, the ICE does have to run longer when you are driving to help the battery recover SOC. There is probably a small mileage drop but when the outside temperature is that hot I'll live with it for the A/C.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 17 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]287840[/snapback]</div>
    Doctor, I have never heard my battery fan come on, even when it is 99 outside. You think maybe the sound of the A/C fan blasting away covers up the battery fan, or is the battery fan really loud?

marjam

5. momfortheenvironment

thanks that makes sense.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Over the weekend it was very hot, nearly 100. It was the second time I heard the fan go on. It stayed on for quite a while this time. I probably should have given the car a break but I had the AC on and drove up a hill. The battery stayed in the pink/purple 2 bar range and you could feel the car working hard. It recovered when we got to flatter surface and the climate equzlized more but it really kknocked my mileage down. I'm definitely going to try to park her in the shade as much as I can!

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 17 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]287844[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, the fan is pretty quiet so unless you have little road noise, the radio off, and the AC fan is minimal or off you probably wouldn't hear it from the driver's seat. A back seat passenger might notice it if it came on but probably would think it was just wind noise if it had been on the whole time.

8. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was 105 today. The heat index is higher. On the way home I could here the tar from the roads being peeled away from the tires like it was bubble gum. Makes you wonder about the drag on the car from this. But, my mileage - at the moment - is better than it ever has been I've made 4 round trips to and from work and the MFD is showing a little over 61mpg. I only live 10 miles from work and when I leave work I go to the gym which is 2 miles. The short trips can't help due to ICE warmup energy.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When the battery gets too hot the car may protect it by using it less. Less use of the battery means the car is closer to a conventional car, and will get less mpg. A/C draws power, lowering the mpg, but it's the cooled air in the cab that is used to cool the battery, so refraining from using A/C could be counter-productive. Bottom line is extreme heat and extreme cold are both bad for mpg. That's the price we pay for living in the real world.

10. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It's been hot here for a while now (95-104 degrees). My MPG (52-54 MPG) has not been effected at all, except for the occasional AC use.

When using the AC just make sure to use the Recirculation mode, as it is much more efficient to cool the already cool air inside your car rather then try to cool the hot air outside the car.

There are just too many variables when you are only talking about 2 MPG. You need to run a few more tanks to see the real results.

As far as the gas "pips", there his been a lot of discussion about the differences in these from car to car. You just have to get used to what your car does. My tank has never taken more then 10.1 gallons, even when that last pip is flashing. Normally, I get around 300 miles for the first half of the tank, and then around 230-240 more before I fill up again (within around 25 miles of when that last pip flashes). Although, some have reported running out of gas within a few miles of that last flashing pip, so be careful not to push it too far if you are not right near a gas station.

11. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I went home the back route last night. At around 100 degrees here. Got my worst mpg of the summer at 38 mpg.
    All due to AC. When it is hot it really helps to go faster, but the highway was having a traffic jam.

Noted my hybrid battery was at around 120 deg. or more.
    AC ran on high till I was about 1 mile from home.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another trick, if you can't park in shade, when you come back to the
    car just open up ALL the doors and let all that hot accumulated air
    escape. You can reach in and fire up to IG-ON and drop all the
    windows, too. Let it sit that way for a bit. That way the A/C
    only has to work against ambient, not all the extra heat, except
    what's still retained in the seats and the dash plastic [if you
    forgot to use your windshield shade]...
    _H*

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    High heat makes my car smell like sweat.

14. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 18 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]288088[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... that may not be your car.

15. pjconner

pjconner New Member

I am experiencing 10mpg worse than usual. Normal 46 mpg, now that the heat is over 100 degrees, I get about 36 mpg. AC is set at 78. I often hear the battery fan running.

The hit in mileage percentage-wise is greater than any car I have owned. But it is still very good.

16. Cully

Cully New Member

I just finished a weekend trip from Denver to Steamboat with a full car and temps from the low to high ninetys depending on my elevation. My MPG when I pulled back into town was at 49MPG. I'm happy with that. The Battery fan did come on about 4 or 5 times during the trip. It doesn't really come on that often in normal driving so my theory is that with a trunk full of stuff, the heat from the battery can't escape as easy and the fan is needed more.

From 5280 ft to almost 7000 ft with a couple hills that reach to almost 10,000 ft. Going up the engine works hard but coming down, it's all green.

Matt
    Denver

17. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Dallas temps have been 0ver 100°F for the last week or so. My MPGs have dropped perhaps 2 MPG with constant use of the AC system. I can only park partially in the sun when working, so the temp at the Prius reads about 3° higher than the OAT until I drive about 5 miles by which time the AC system has substantially reduced the interior air temp. During the first mile or so, the traction (main) battery shows two purple bars but gets back to "blue normal" in about 3 miles or less.

Terrific AC system in my opinion... as is the rest of the Prius at 20,.000 miles on the clock.

18. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 18 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]288088[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Oiseau @ Jul 18 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]288095[/snapback]</div>

yeah....considering the avatar I have wonder about the true source of the odor!

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 18 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]288360[/snapback]</div>
    <_<

20. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Here in Fla. temps have been 95 and above for the last month. 75 in the morning on the way to work (5am) 51-53 mpg. Afternoon above 95 same roads 44-46 mpg. In May when I first got the car it was 51-54 both ways. A/C is on but there is no difference in the afternoon with it off except the driver could go postal with no air. :p But even with the lower mpg it still beats the REAL MAN at work with his hummer. What an nice person. Told me couldnt take vacation this year because of the high gas prices. :blink: :blink: :blink: