1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question About HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Iria, May 3, 2006.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

So, I just got my 2006 Prius about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Live in the SF Bay Area, so I had to change my Fastrak transponder. Got the replacement yesterday, and I'm mailing the receipt to the DMV w/ check for the stickers today.

Now, from what I read by scanning in Google, it looks like it will take 3 - 4 weeks to get the stickers. I didn't really look carefully, though.

Please note, I have sent in my $8 for the stickers. However, my question is, has anyone tried driving their Prius in the carpool lane without stickers until they come? I mean, it's a Prius for gosh-sakes; it's distinctive and unmistakeable.

I'm not trying to cheap out of the $8 and I'm not promoting widespread ignoring of the sticker policy; as I said I already sent it in, but I am soooo tempted by that empty lane next to me. I just don't want a ticket.

Also, has anyone tried using those magnetic backings that are sold for bumper stickers instead of affixing the stickers directly? That way, in case you want to remove them later, you can ... and you're not permanently affecting your car's appearance.

2. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iria @ May 3 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]249051[/snapback]</div>

I don't understand the part about changing transponders. I got my first sticker in Aug 2005 for my Honda Hybrid and no one asked me to change transponder - all I did was send them the latest receipt for my Fasttrax and highlited the transponder number I use on the car (I have two transponders.) Then in December, I send in for another set of stickers for my Prius and I did the same thing - so I still have both my original transponders. Where is it in the instructions that I have to swap transponders?

As for the stickers, I've been noticing Prii with stickers all over the car - like putting it on the windows instead of bumper and quarter panel. Again I don't understand - the stickers come off easily - just peel them off them you don't need it or sell the car.

3. Iria

Iria New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yauman @ May 3 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]249094[/snapback]</div>
    The reason you replace your transponder is because that way you go through the carpool lane on the bridges and still get charged. I don't think these instructions are on the DMV site, but I knew about this already and they are on the Fastrak site.

I didn't realize the stickers come off easily.

4. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iria @ May 3 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]249097[/snapback]</div>
    I have not been charged for using the car pool lane yet! I think all they needed was the transponder ID (printed in really really tiny font on the back of the transponder) to program their system not to charge. Also, I undertand Fastrak is also tracking HOV usasge on all HOV lanes by Hybrids using the transponder - that why they want to have a transponder to haave the HOV stickers (but only in the Bay Area.)

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iria @ May 3 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]249051[/snapback]</div>
    Howdy Iria -

Much of this has been covered MANY times before. Certainly there are people who drive solo in SUVs in the HOV lanes, so of course it has been tried. It is just as illegal to drive your Prius in the HOV lane without the stickers as it is to drive a Hummer in the HOV lanes without the stickers. (would be illegal for the Hummer WITH the stickers as well!)

And that right there is why you'll need to wait for the stickers.

Where the stickers need to legally be placed, there is nothing for magnets to stick. You'd have to put a steel backing plate behind the bumpers.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope. That would be classified under 'illegal'. Not all Priuses have stickers and can travel in the carpool lane with just the driver. Otherwise, what would be the reason for the gov't to issue the HOV stickers in the first place? It wasn't worth the risk to me while I waited ~2.5 months for my carpool stickers, to get into the carpool lane by myself even though my check had been cashed just a couple weeks after I had mailed it in. The carpool violation fee (in SoCal) these days is over $300...NOT worth the risk IMO.

No, I just went ahead and put the stickers on the clean paint without a second thought. With my previous car, there were various bumper stickers on the back of that car that I removed ~6-7 years later without so much as a difference between paint/color on the spot where the stickers once were and the paint/color elsewhere. Nothing was affected permanently...