1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about III non-nav Bluetooth operation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SCJoe, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, all. My wife and I are "this close" to purchasing a 2010 Prius 3 (non-Nav), but I have a question that I was hoping someone could answer.

What Bluetooth controls are on the steering wheel? In particular, can you use the steering wheel controls to make a phone call (rather than needing to initiate it from the phone itself)? The phone in question would be a Blackberry Curve 8330, if that matters.

Put anothe way, currently I use an aftermarket Pioneer deck, and can make phone calls by pressing a button on the deck which activates the Blackberry's Voice Command -- at which point I can simply say something like "call Jim, mobile" and it will dial. Is that possible with the Prius 3 non-Nav BT system?

2. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Should be no problem once you have stored the name and number in the Prius. Voice commands seem to work very well.

3. PaulMCK

PaulMCK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had no problem getting the Prius to recognize my cell phone. As I recall the default on the Prius is Bluetooth Off, but it is easily turned on via the screen. Now, each time I have the phone with me in the Prius it recognizes my phone right away and acknowledges that on the screen right after starting.

Initiating and answering calls can be done from the steering wheel buttons.

Pretty straightforward, I'd say.

4. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info.

This seems to imply that the Prius BT system has its own voice command system, and it uses that rather than the one built into the phone. Is that the case?

Good to know. Are there separate (extra) buttons on the wheel for cars equipped with BT capability, or is it done using the two ... circles of buttons that are standard?

5. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1. You can record up to 20 voice names, 6 speed dials using the radio preset buttons, set up for the car's Bluetooth, not using your phone's.
    2. There are 3 buttons on the left, off hook, on hook, voice command. They are separate from and below the circle on the left that controls the radio. The phone buttons do not generate the Touch Tracer display.

6. SCJoe

SCJoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for that info, Jim. Exactly what I was looking for.

7. wamje

wamje New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SCJoe,

I'm not sure if you've made your decision yet, but I will throw in my two cents worth.

I am very dissappointed with the built-in bluetooth.

- You can't get directly to your phones voice recognition to use that phonebook.
    - It's a 5-step process to switch between phones if both you and your wife want to use the built-in bluetooth
    - The Prius voice command is not very good at recognizing different names (it will complain that "Tom - Home" sounds too much like "Tom - Mobile" when you're trying to set up the phone book.

If the only reason you were looking at the package III is because of the bluetooth I would recommend talking with your dealer about a package II with Blu Logic bluetooth integration, which I think is a much better fit. I was actually going to spend more money to "downgrade" to Blu Logic, but it's not compatible with the package III radio.

8. Silent Propulsion

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the basic Blu Logic system in mine. I like it except for one thing: each first call I make or receive I have to turn the volume up on the phone thru the Blu Logic button, thus delaying the answering time a few seconds. After the first call (on each vehicle start) the volume stays where I set it. Pairing was easy, my phone is an LG LX570, my wifes is an HTC Touch Pro and also works well. Making calls is simple: press Blu Logic phone icon button (this is located on dash just ahead of drivers right knee) say "call", "name" or "phone number", verify and your connected. To receive, just press the Blu Logic phone icon button and your connected.