1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about my test drive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momfortheenvironment, Apr 28, 2006.

1. momfortheenvironment

and I got 32 mpg in my little test drive. Took it to a parking log, sat in back seat, its a decent size! I know driving technique makes a difference but is there really a break in period where mileage is lower? Or is it driver breakin ? :) I did alot of local driving, and I also did breaking hoping to see the battery recharge, and didn't. Also is the ev mode something standard or add on. I too was concerned about back visibility, did a lot of seat and mirror adjusting and I think I can see better than in my passat, I'm on 5"almost 1". My last hesitation is having the right amount saved up and the biggest one is I owned a corolla years ago that of all things the electrical system was a problem. Went thru several, about 4 in 100K alternators, tons of break lights, electric window motor, I'm just nervous about the electrical. Does the warranty and extended warranty cover things other than the battery itself. Thanks for putting up with my questions. :unsure:

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Apr 28 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]246981[/snapback]</div>
    a little of both, mostly driver breakin :)

the recharging is shown by green arrows to the battery. i know it was recharging when you were braking, that's what regenerative braking is. are you referring to the bars on the battery?

that's one of those in-your-garage modifications. only standard in non-north-american countries.

warranty: 3/36 bumper to bumper except normal wear and maintenance items
    extended warranty: depends what plan you get. it does not cover the battery only. the platinum warranty covers just about everything.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless you're brAking hard enough that it bypasses regeneration or regenerations for a moment before switching over.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Apr 28 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]246981[/snapback]</div>
    The weather will affect the mileage. Here in California, I get 46 to 47 GPM, and I don't drive carefully. I drive the same way I always have. My commute is 40 miles each way, about evenly divided between city streets and freeways. Mileage will suffer in the cold weather; one of my co-workers in NH has a Prius and is always very disappointed when his mileage drops in winter. The heat has to come from somewhere, so the car has to burn gas to get the heat.

There's an extended warranty on the components associated with the hybrid system, 8 years or 100,000 miles. That includes the hybrid batteries (but not the regular 12v battery).

5. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Apr 28 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]246981[/snapback]</div>
    That seems very low for this time of year. We took a test drive on a nice day in Dec. and got about 50 mpg. in mostly city driving.

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Begreen @ Apr 28 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]247037[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like he did a very short test drive with a cold engine.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Apr 28 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]246981[/snapback]</div>
    Don't bother with an EV switch. There is one in my car, 7 months old, and I hardly ever use it. It's not worth any extra expense.

I too moved from a Passat. Rear view in the Prius is poor but I had rear parking sensors fitted and they help a lot. But you soon get used to the Prius view. No need to hesitate to get one!

8. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Apr 29 2006, 04:34 AM) [snapback]247125[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly my thought as well. My mileage is always the lowest during the first five minutes. That first bar on the consumption screen will run between 25mpg and 50mpg but generally around 35 to 40.

I will say this. I am halfway through my first (courtesy) tank of gas. My mileage is running around 48.2mpg. I've watched it climb steadily over each of the 8 days I've had the car. Now obviously it is starting to level off - yesterday's climb was from 48.0 to 48.2mpg.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(momfortheenvironment @ Apr 28 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]246981[/snapback]</div>
    Short drives produce lower mpg, since fuel is used to heat the ICE and catalytic converter. For example, if I start with a cold engine and drive a few miles around town, I'll see mileage like you got. On the other hand, I stopped at a gas station last week, filled up (7 gals) and drove eight miles home over our hilly, twisty, Northern Michigan roads and got 59.2 mpg.

As for visibility, I love the backup camera. With that addition, I can see backwards better than any car I've ever owned.

Tom

10. Emma

Emma New Member

Initially, the visibility was a problem for me, but I've adjusted my mirrors properly and gotten comfortable in the car....it's no longer a problem (especially since I've always been a "quick look over my shoulder before changing lanes" person in any vehicle).

My short commute (3.5 to 5 miles each way) and cold northern climate are reflected in my gas mileage. Once I get the bicycle out and it warms up around here, I expect much better mileage. But my short commute and the cold temperatures affected the gas mileage in my Civic, too.

I bought the extended warranty. I got a great deal on it and it's a Toyota platinum. This is the first time I've ever purchased an extended warranty on anything. I did it because it's still relatively new technology, there are so many more "gizmos" in this car than my last one, and because I keep my cars longer than most people.

11. momfortheenvironment

thanks everyone it was probably too short.