1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Nav.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Godiva, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't have NAV but am thinking of upgrading to it on my next Prius.

If I keep my next Prius (2009) for 10 years this time (that's my usual use) how out of date will the Nav be? Do I have to update it periodically like you do a computer or will it just be really, really out of date?

Should I just skip the Nav and only get the VSC?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is this...you'll have to see.
    10 year is a long time and an upgrade will likely be necessary. But Toyota won't sell you just the NAV, they'll include the bluetooth and some other 'must have' tech thing so that to get the NAV you're going to pay $1500-2000 and get the other toys too.

If you really don't want anything else but the NAV then an aftermarket is the way to go, IMO. They're dirt cheap, can be updated more cheaply than the current Prius NAV, can be replaced. Can be moved from car to car. You can use your MFD and still see the NAV map on a separate screen.

But you need to wait and see what Toyota does...maybe the 2010 w/NAV will have 2 LCD screens, maybe it'll offer lifetime free wireless map updates. Maybe you won't have to pay $2000 and get the wireless back scratcher too. You just have to wait and see.

But if it's about NAV and only NAV and your concern is expense and needs for updates I'm going with a nice $200 portable unit....at that price you can get a new one every year for each of those 10 years with the most current possible maps for the cost of the OEM Prius NAV.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not waiting for the 2010. I'm not taking a chance it will have that sucky new center dash thing. Also I need to sell my car now to take advantage of the value of the HOV stickers. If I sell it in the next three months, there's still two years left on the stickers.

So it's a 2009.

I have a base model 2005 and want to move up. I don't care if it has leather or not.

I want the VSC. Smartkey would be nice. Homelink would also be nice. I don't care about the 6 disc CD changer. I know I could get NAV by just buying a GPS device. I might want bluetooth. I only have a disposable cell phone now my Mother bought me and buys minutes for. But in a few years I may be buying an iPhone once it gets a few more generations under it's belt. So I might just want the bluetooth. I usually keep a car for 10 years. So I'm thinking I'd want to bluetooth as I'll probably own some sort of bluetooth cell phone before I sell the car.

So I have questions about the NAV and whether I should go for everything or give up the NAV and bluetooth if it's way too expensive to keep up or worthlessly out of date after a few years.

Does it need to be updated and if so, how much would that cost?

BTW when you go to the Toyota website you still can't build a 2009.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    VSC - I have only felt it kick in one time, but it is impressive when it does.

Bluetooth - very nice, automatically syncs to the phone when you boot up the car. I bought a SonyEriccson phone that works really well with the Prius BT, but it is a crappy phone otherwise. It is a AT&T "Go" phone (prepaid) which is great for me because I'm not a big cell phone user.

SmartKey - you won't want to live without it once you get used to it.

Homelink - I've never bothered to program since the GF gets the garage for her Avalon.

Backup Camera - best for parallel parking, but not absolutely necessary. I still turn my head and look thru the small window in the hatch

NAV - Its kinda cool, but I don't really use it that often. And I believe others who say that the aftermarket systems are the way to go. The update DVD is about $250 (I bought one out of an 08 from C.RickeyHirose for $150 to get rid of the "I Agree" button). You don't have to update every year, but to keep current, probably every 2 or 3 years.

I use the 6 disc changer all the time even though I have an iPod.

You didn't mention HID headlights, I also like this option.

NAV and Homelink are the two options I could live without. I only ended up with NAV because the GF talked me into getting the leather seats.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't really have an opinion on the HID headlights one way or the other.

I heard the regular lights are better. And then there was that thread about the HID bulbs getting stolen. I garage my car so I'm not so concerned about that. The Homelink would be nice.

I think the biggest difference between the middle and high package is the NAV . I don't remember if in order to get the bluetooth you have to get the highest package also.

I think the higher package helps resale value, but I don't think that much. I'd rather have cloth than leather and then just have the center console and armrests covered in leather. I'll do the steering wheel with a wheelskinz again.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well I know that they changed some option packages for 08 (and they could again for 09) but for 07, you did not have to get Nav to get Bluetooth. The JBL system with the 6 CD changer and the Bluetooth were linked together though (Package 3 or higher).

7. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OT - Digby just got his tail in my dish of ice cream. Yum.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll bet he enjoyed chasing his tail and licking it off.

9. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    He's too busy ripping apart the newest dog toy. I tried to get most of it off, but he's going to have a sticky tail just on the tip. LBD.