1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about one more feature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momfortheenvironment, Mar 11, 2006.

1. momfortheenvironment

Does climate control mean cooling for when its hot in the car? Or is that why the heatshield is so hot? I should use less ac and I know even if it does exist it would affect gas use, but there are just some times when it gets really humid where I can see wanting it. Its hard to tell from the wording I've read so far?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    huh? it's an automatic climate control. If you wante better mpg, shut it off. I find 72 during the day and 73 and night is comfortable. It controls heater and A/C.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah your post is a bit confusing. I'll attempt to answer what I think you're asking

The automatic climate control is for both heating and cooling. Even though it says "AUTO A/C", it doesn't mean the A/C compressor is always on and it doesn't mean you're gonna be blasted with cold air when it's 0°F outside. The A/C compressor acts as a dehumidifier in the winter.

Also, leaving it in AUTO A/C with the A/C button highlighted means the A/C compressor will be controlled automatically. It may or may not be on depending on the humidity sensor.

4. momfortheenvironment

sorry I wasn't that clear, yes you both helped. Is there a manual override to the automatic controls?

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes. If you press the Climate button next to the screen you will get a picture on the touch screen which will offer you fan speed and temperature control among other things. These things are explained in your Owner's Manual.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since you don't have your location in your User Profile, we don't know if you are writing us from Duluth, MN or Yuma, AZ. That information can affect how or if some replies.

Or is that why the heatshield is so hot? . . . Good question. Where are you located?

7. momfortheenvironment

OH i added to my signature, I'm New Hampshire, where we get pretty cold and we get the hazy hot and humids in the 90's too.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So yeah, what Allan said. There is manual override if you wish. The automatic climate control system on the Prius is quite sophisticated. It has a two-tiered climate control system. The Prius recirculates air at foot level to help heat up faster while it blows in fresh air in the upper vents so as not to fog up the windows.

9. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

So, for the record, for the best mpg AUTO on or off?

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

I find the MPG is about the same eiher way and it's more comfortable with it on, so might as well have it on.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Would depend on how you set things manually with Auto off. If you do the same things manually as Auto would have done automatically... no difference. If, however, you turn the thing manually off when Auto would have been running the AC compressor, you might see a mileage gain.

12. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

I have done precisely this (turning everything off even) and have seen no milleage gain)