1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Order Process/Delivery

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by MattD, Apr 4, 2006.

1. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I'm really new at all this, and just ordered a Prius from a dealer just recently -- I could use some advice!

I was told by the dealer today that he would have the VIN number approximately two weeks prior to the delivery of the car, and that we could then "do the paperwork." I've never ordered a car before, but this strikes me as being somewhat odd (doing paperwork before a car arrives) -- or is he referring to something else?

My big issue here is that while I want the car, I do want to see it and check it out before I accept it. Has anyone else had this experience, or is this normal for Prius orders and delivery?

Also, any advice on prepurchase checklists, etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,

- Matt

2. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well you definitely do not have to singn for the car before it arrives, and I would recommend that you do not... Check the car throughly before you sign the paperwork...
    Also: check this: http://priuschat.com/forums/files/prius_pi...p_checklist.rtf for all the delivery and pre-delivery checklists you will need, I am getting my prius this wekend and will be taking printout of all of them with me...

3. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

A lot depends on what he meant by "paperwork"...

Our local dealer negotiates on the price (and any trade-in numbers) and has us sign a piece of paper with all those numbers on it. It's not really much of a contract, but it strongly implies that the deal is acceptable to both sides. They refer to this as "paperwork" sometimes.

It protects you because it means your car is YOUR CAR, and that he can't easily turn around and sell it out from under you.

It protects him from getting in the EXACT car you want, and then you flipping him off!

So I think it's reasonable to sign SOMETHING indicating that you're really serious and that the price/trade-in #'s are acceptable.

If he means the actual closing documents/financing, then he's whacked. I would absolutely refuse to do that.

Good luck!

4. impatient

impatient New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt Domenici @ Apr 4 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]234644[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure what's normal but we haven't been asked to sign anything yet. We are picking up our Prius in two weeks. We gave the dealer a credit card number to secure our order but he hasn't charged anything to it.

We intend on checking the car throughly and test drive it before paying for it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

5. jef

jef New Member

Inglewood (Los Angeles county), California
    In order to secure my Prius as soon as it was allocated, which was when it was on a ship 7 days out from Long Beach and 11 days out from my dealer, I signed a contract agreeing to purchase it. This certainly was a risk on my part, but it didn't seem like too much risk - I imagined if anything happened to the car between the time that I signed the contract and the time I took delivery, that Toyofuji, Toyota Logistics Services, or the dealer itself would have insurance to cover the eventuality and would fix it or get me another car. Not delivering the specific car as identified by the VIN number in new condition would have been a material breech of the contract we signed, and so I'm sure there would have been some remedy.

The only reason that I was willing to take on that small amount of risk was that it was the exact color and option package that I wanted at a fair price and I knew I was still a few months away from being able to redeem my position on a waiting list at another dealer. If any of those four conditions weren't true, I probably wouldn't have done it.

Without that contract signed and in their hands, and since I didn't have any deposit or waiting list position with them, it wouldn't have been fair for me to insist that the dealer not sell that car to someone else, something which they easily could have done and for more than I paid. I did the same thing earlier today when I sold my used motorcycle - I didn't take down my ad for it until I had a check for the purchase price in hand and the buyer's signature on a sales contract. Without money and a signature, I don't think it would have been particularly fair for the buyer of my motorcycle to ask me to stop trying to sell it to other people.

6. wishes

wishes New Member

Question: What's to stop a dealer from selling a car that comes in that someone's been waiting for to someone else who comes in willing to pay more (especially if the contract signed never had the VIN number, because it was on order and unavailable)?

A friend of mine even had experience with a dealer selling their car (non-Prius) which they had put down a deposit for and signed for (with the VIN number) to someone else. I thought they were legally not allowed to do this?

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Apr 30 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]247721[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on the small print.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matt Domenici @ Apr 4 2006, 07:11 AM) [snapback]234644[/snapback]</div>
    Matt, you really need to call him and ask about the "paperwork". I know you might be a little gun-shy if this is your first car purchase, but you have to keep telling yourself: it's YOUR money that'll make the whole thing happen, so you have EVERY right to know EVERYthing EVERY step of the way.

If you need a "pretext" for calling him (in case you may feel you're "bugging" him), just ask him "if you'll need anything" when it's time to do the paperwork. Are you financing through the dealer? Got a trade-in? Did they ask (and you give) a deposit? Have you verbally agreed on an exact price (which the sales guy may have written down, including any options, and maybe even tax and licensing)?

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 1 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]247832[/snapback]</div>

I did "the paperwork" last night and signed one piece of paper. I put 500 on my Amex card. It was only the front page of a contract. I signed at the bottom, but didn't initial all the places. They told me that until I take possesion of the car, it is not binding. I don't blame them. I ordered one, and they have to install leather and the 17" wheels at the port when it gets here. They are doing that at my request. They should be able to see some sort of committment on my part.

Thanks,