1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about ordering a Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by wchardin, Apr 7, 2008.

1. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I know this is a weird/dumb question, but I dont know the answer. I'm probably going to have to order the Prius I want (Spectra blue, touring, package 6). I will also be trading in my 4Runner. Here is my question(s), when do I relinquish the 4Runner to the dealership, when I order the car or do I keep the car till it comes in. Do they take off for mileage you put on the car? (Plain on driving to Florida in May). Also with ordering, I know you pay the 500 non-refundable deposit, but do you "make the deal" for pricing when first ordering the car, or do you start dealing when you get the call the car is in? All insight is greatly appreciated.

2. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When you order, thats when you deal, if you are trading in, you get your deal for your trade in at the same time. What happens with trade in price between time you order and time it comes in, depends on the time involved and mileage you put on the car, but usually doesn't change from the ordering deal you made. At time your Prius comes in, they will want to check your trade in again to make sure its in the same condition they offered you the deal for.

Now, there is an advantage to the trade in deal, you will have a trade in price at ordering from the dealer, but there is nothing stopping you from trying to sell it for more than what the dealer is offering while you wait. Could be a lot more money if you can find someone to buy it.

Oh, and the $500 non refundable is BS, its usually against the law for dealers to do that, they ask for a deposit, but if its an honest dealer, there is no way it can be non refundable.

So basically, if you are trading in, make the best deal possible for the Prius, THEN mention trade in, and KNOW the value of your trade in by researching Edmunds.com, KBB.com or NADA.com. Also those sites will give you a good idea what you can expect to pay for a Prius in your area. And if you have a wait, nothing wrong with trying to sell your vehicle for more while you are waiting, all that does is give you more money for your new car, the trade in part of your deal is not dependent on the new car price you negotiated.

3. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dealer offered $1000 trade-in; friend offered $2000 as is. I suggest trying to sell the car yourself.

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I always negotiate for the price of the car after researching what the car should cost. When asked if I have a trade in I say no. Once we get the price where I want it I'll mention I'm considering trading in my other car. There's too many places in the transaction where you can get screwed so these deals need to be negotiated separately. For instance, it's common for them to make it look like you're getting the new car for under invoice when in fact they're giving you half of what your trade is worth. :eek: As suggested, you should try to sell your car separately.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Regardless of what you call it it's much easier to get a car allocated to you at a lower cost than buying off the lot. A "ordered" car is typically much closer to cost partially due because dealing with fleet units sold is the primary concern as opposed to the sales department where they're seeing their commission go out the drain. I'm fortunate that I purchase 1-2 new cars per year and I have to play some major hardball with dealers in order to minimize the amount I'm upside down. I sometimes have a feeling of shame when I speak to a new excited Prius owner with a package 2 and I change the subject about price because I know I paid less for my package 6 than their 2.

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for everyones help. I just got back from the dealership and ordered the Prius I want, Spectra blue, touring, with package 6. I guess now I have to play the "waiting" game. I hope it doesn't take terribly long, but I can wait for what I want. Thanks again!

8. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you mind to tell me, what do you pay for the car? Im shopping a prius too. Thanks