1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about possible airbag malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevejay, Apr 8, 2016.

1. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My new to me 2004 Prius no longer operates the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel, I can live with that.

Does a failed clock spring assembly now mean the airbag wouldn't deploy if necessary? There's a light for the airbag, and it's NOT on. I was hoping a fuse controlled the electronics from the wheel buttons, apparently it's not that simple.

My "bargain" is less so now. Apparently I'll need to get a charcoal canister & clockspring replacement. Or not.

I feel like I'm waiting on the next problem of the week. This said, I like the car, especially the smart A/C

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there's any chance the airbag won't deploy in an accident, there would be a safety recall for the car.

3. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wikipedia:
    "In vehicle steering systems a clock spring or clockspring is a spira,-wound special rotary electrical connector which allows a vehicle's steering wheel to turn while still making an electrical connection between the steering wheel airbag and/or the vehicle's horn and other devices."

But by definition it is a component of a car's airbag! Still not convinced & I have tried to research it myself. I want to be wrong btw.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would worry about the HV battery failing more than the airbag not deploying

5. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True. Not really worried, just curious.
    The battery is usually green, and charges readily. The display says I'm averaging 46 - 50 mpg, and that's just fantastic!

6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The clockspring cable has a redundant conductor for the airbag, and they're quite a bit larger than the other control function conductors. There is also a supervisory circuit that checks for open circuit

stevejay likes this.
  7. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you Andrew, this is the information I was curious about. I agree that if the airbag wouldn't deploy due to a failed clock spring, this would be a known issue and a recall would be put in place. At least we would hope so..

8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just get a genuine OEM clockspring replacement to regain the steering wheel buttons, and be done. Don't even considering getting fake clocksprings off of eBay. Reports of the eBay junk failing after a short period of time in terms of steering wheel buttons. Who knows if the fakes will deploy the air bag. Price of fakes are tempting $13-$40. I'm sure your life is worth more than this. Genuine OEM replacement is $210.79, no tax, fee shipping, item #7. 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Yup, the HV Battery should be your greatest concern, esp if it is the original or a previous owner did a module swap. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, remove the top cover of the HV Battery to read the serial numbers for all 38 modules; the serial numbers should be sequential. If the series is not sequential, one or two out of sequence, someone did a module swap. If the series is completely non-sequential (looks random), you have a refurb/rebuilt HV Pack. If the series is sequential, you have the original HV Pack or a used original pack from a different car (likely from a wreck donor).

stevejay likes this.
  9. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, all very interesting and informative.