1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

question about roof box, aerodynamics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by neon tetra, Aug 15, 2010.

1. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed the Thule rack according to specs, which places the crossbars 25" apart. When I line up the holes on the cargo box, the farthest back I can get it is like this:
    [​IMG]

I read, however, that having the box further back is better for aerodynamics. I don't want to change the positioning of the bars, so should I drill an extra set of holes in the box? That would put it about 3" or so back, thus reducing that dead area in the front that looks like it'll trap a lot of air.
    Or would the rear overhang be just as bad for the aerodynamics?

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'd be concerned about the weight distribution associated with putting the box too far back.

3. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It won't be too heavy of a load, & the heaviest stuff will be between the bars. Mainly just tent, thermarests, bedding, shoes, jackets.

Driving wise, the only concerns I have are crosswinds in the plains states & the hills in Utah. I remember on my last trip those being a bit of a challenge even without the box.

4. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm really curious what kind of MPG hit I'm going to take. I'm at a steady 46 now.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The aerodynamics of a box on a roof rack are so bad that moving it a few inches amounts to approximately nothing.

If you need the extra storage, just use the box, enjoy the extra capacity and buy the extra gas.:rockon:

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

If you reverse the orientation on the car, it might have less drag. But, it might also create more lift than its designed for, too. That box has a nice boat-tail, but facing forward.