1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about the "Low Fuel" Warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Dec 3, 2004.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

Yesterday when low on fuel, the last square was flashing but I did not see the "Low fuel" or "Add fuel" message on the MFD like I normally do.

Don't they work in conjunction?
    When the last square flashes, the Add fuel MFD message also appears?

Does it only appear for a short time then it goes away?
    I didn't hear a beep either, but don't hear good.

???

2. silly

silly Junior Member

I've had my Prius for about a month now and have gone through 4 tanks of gas. Each one has had the last Flashing bar but I've never seen a "low fuel" or "add fuel" message on the MFD. I've never heard anything either. The most I've driven with the Flashing bar was 24 miles. Do the warnings come some time later?

3. tntna

tntna New Member

I've only filled up once. I don't recall the Add Fuel display on the 2005. The 2001 displays the message though.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i believe the message only appears for a few seconds at the top of the display in the same place other transiet messages appear.

5. macreative

macreative New Member

I have seen it before and I have a 2005. I was just wondering why it didn't come on this time? Maybe it only stays on for a few minutes, but I am always glancing at the screen. So weird.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tntna\";p=\"55093)</div>

6. mss

mss New Member

I always wanted to say this...

RTFM

:roll:

... just joking.

I don't actually OWN the car yet, but I have a copy of the manual. See attached image from page 115...

Maybe it depends on what screen you are viewing?? The example is the climate screen. Also, maybe it is just at the first warning. Weird that it would stop working.

7. silly

silly Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mss\";p=\"55112)</div>
    Thanks for reading the manual. We're usually on a different screen than the climate screen but I suppose it has shown and I never saw it. It seems like there should also be some audible tones when the guage starts blinking.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the message comes on no matter what screen you are on. if you were to change the radio station you are listening to, there will be a message stating what the new station is. that location is where the low fuel warning will appear.

9. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

it only comes on at startup...

10. silly

silly Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kev1000000\";p=\"55136)</div>
    Well that's good to know. Most of the time when the bar starts flashing I just head to the next station.

11. DuncanNixon2004

DuncanNixon2004 New Member

My experience in an '04 is a short audible beep/alarm and a very short 'add fuel' on the MFD when the last pip starts nagging. That's over 12,000km and I haven't missed many.

Being anal-retentive can be a good thing! :oops:

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmm. I usually wait for the "1 bar flashing" but haven't noticed the "Add fuel" message. I figured it didn't show up until you were closer to 'desperation time". I always get 1 beep when it first goes to '1 bar flashing'. After that I also get a beep when I power up until I get gas.

13. cybele

cybele New Member

I get the "add fuel" message and blinking fuel bar faithfully on my '04.

If you are driving when you hit the "add fuel" level, you should hear a beep and see the little notice on the screen, the fuel bar will start blinking. Then, if it works like mine, every time you start up after that (I usually drive about 50 miles past the add fuel warning, so it can take me a week) you'll get the beep and message on the screen after the car hits ready (it usually appears after I've backed out of the carport or my parking spot at work).

I'm not sure if you disable the backup beep if it affects this notification too.

I pretty much refuel at 400-450 miles anyway for the tank, so I'm not sure I need the beep notification, just the blinking bar would be fine for me.

14. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have what is probably a stupid RTFM (or search the forums) question, but if you do run out of fuel, can you keep running in EV mode until the computer shuts off that as well due to nearly drained battery?

Al

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but don't unless you only have a VERY short distance (like 1/4 mile or less) to the gas station. If you run out of gas, safely pull over, shut down and start looking for a ride to the nearest gas station.

16. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

For some sick perverted reason I've kept a log of how far I go with a blinking light.

With my peak tank of 49.8 mpg I drove 64 miles after the blink started. With my current average of 46/47 mpg, I'm hovering aroung 50 miles on the blink.

I know, I know, tempting fate.

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :iagree

I think i've ran about 60 miles on a blink before. maybe a little more. It's when i wanted to push the tank to see if their was actualy 10 gallons in their, even though when i fill it, it's 9.5 gallons. I think it's hiding fuel.

18. Pixie

Pixie New Member

Wait, I thought it was an 11.9 gallon tank? Am I mis-reading the manual? Where are the extra two gallons? I want my two gallons! :)

19. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My most recent fill was 10.041 gallons and that was within a mile or so of the blink starting. A 10gal tank can still have a gallon or two in the fill tubes.

Al

20. cybele

cybele New Member

I just filled up on Sunday - I drove 423 miles on that tank (42 miles past the first refuel blink) and put in a lowly 7.6 gallons.

Grrrr. I was putting in 8 or 9 gallons before. I really don't know if it's blinking while it still has 3 gallons left or if it is never truly "full" because of the bladder.

Oh well! 400 miles is still about twice the range of my old car!