1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about the SKS system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DanG 01, Jul 8, 2009.

1. DanG 01

DanG 01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I observed a strange thing on my new 2010 Prius this afternoon. Here is what occurred:

After arriving at my destination, I hit the power switch, then hit the power switch again (without touching the brake) to start up the accessory system (my wife wanted to listen to the radio).

I got out of the car with the FOB in my pocket. My wife remained in the passenger seat. She has a FOB in her purse.

After I left the car, my wife locked the car using the door power locks.

When I returned, the car was locked. I grabbed the door handle and nothing happened. I then removed the FOB from my pocket and tried to hit the UNLOCK button. Nothing happened.

I could only enter the car when my wife unlocked the car using the door power locks.

Has anyone run into this before? I am wondering if it is normal for the SKS.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Completely normal. If the car is in any sort of "on" state, it is not designed to unlock from the outside (buttons or SKS) if considered occupied. Could you imagine in a domestic dispute if the Mrs. got into the car, locked the doors, started the car in an attempt to flee and angry hubby w/ other FOB was able to unlock the car?

Or, more importantly, the external antenna picking up a signal from the fob in ther driver's left (North American) pocket and a carjacker were able to unlock via SKS?

Probably not the exact use case Toyota had in mind, but one of several it "solves".

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It seems normal to me though I have gen-II.
    The lock you did was from the inside power-lock. SKS was not armed.
    Therefore, trying to unlock thru SKS (either from door or fob) won't do anything.
    You can use the metal key, though.

4. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On my 1300 mile trip from NE OR to Buckeye AZ I pulled off the highway several times onto dirt roads to snooze. I "locked" the doors to keep out the bad guys but DID the doors really lock to keep me safe? I'm inside with the SKS key; could anyone just grab the door handle and get in???????? It's kind of like with the backup beeper, can it be heard from outside the vehicle? I don't know as I'm on the inside!!!!!!!!!

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Martin,
    Consider SKS as your servant. It can start the engine and unlock/lock door for you in easier ways than w/o it. When you lock doors from inside (thru power lock button), the doors ARE locked. No one from outside can get in. The SKS knows where the fob is by comparing multiple sensors inputs (2 inside front doors, 1 in the hatch, 2 inside cabin-front/cargo). Therefore, the SKS knows that the fob is inside when you snooze inside. SKS will not allow people from outside to unlock the door just because a fob is nearby. SKS is smarter than that. Therefore, the name "SmartKey System".

And, yes. People can hear the beep from outsides. In fact, in some Asian countries, the backup beep is required much like Canada requires DRL.

1 person likes this.