1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about TPMS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by daczone, Feb 12, 2014.

1. daczone

daczone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I finally decided on the brand and size tires for my TRD 18" rims.

I have ordered 215/40/18 with the following weight:
    tires 21.7 lbs each + my 16 lbs rims for a total of 37.7 lbs
    My stock 15's are 19.9 tire + 16.3 lbs rim for a total of 36.2 lbs
    Stock 17's are 20.5 tire + 24.2 lbs rim for a total of 44.8 lbs.

Hopefully my math is correct. My question is however about TPMS. Is there is a serial number on the sensors? My 18's rims currently have old 18's tires on them, so I thought when they mount my new tires I could peek at the stems and get the serial numbers? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Air_boss replied to a post/question I had on TPMS sensors....below is his response...it may help you..

"The wheel-mounted TPMS sensors are serialized but also serve as transponders that broadcast their serial numbers, which a TPMS scantool can read, which serials can then be entered into the car's TPMS monitoring system. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen automatically (or the TPMS monitoring system might start tracking sensors on adjacent vehicles), so it either requires dealer intervention or a tire shop with the right tools. But it doesn't require breaking down/remounting tires from wheels"

3. daczone

daczone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know a code reader will retrive the serial numbers from the units, but I don't have access to that. However I do have the techstream that I will be able to add them, if I had the serial numbers. I'd really like to do this myself and keep my old tires for winter.