1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question About Wheels and Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Claudia, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Our new Prius needs some new feet. These Integritys gotta go. I was thinking I'd like to put a little bit wider tire on the Prius - this is a dumb female type question, I know - but can I put different size tires on the car without having to replace wheels or rims or anything else?

I hear good things about the Hydroedge and Comfortreds - any recommendations as to what tire would give the best combination of better handling, better feeling of control, along with a smoother feeling ride? They don't have to be guaranteed to last forever, just to serve well - we generally put fewer than 10,000 miles on a car in a year. I've read so many tire comparisons here that my head's spinning! There's also another Michelin I've seen a lot about -

I think the Prius tends to "wander" a little bit on the highway, more so in a crosswind of course, and I'm hoping to find a tire that will both help that as well as cut down on some of the rough road feel that bothers me a little bit.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can get the HydroEdge and ComforTred tires in the same size as the OEM Integrity tire. This means your MFD will be accurate for miles driven and MPGs. A wider tire will mean more rolling resistance and lower MPGs. I think you'll be very satisfied with either tire without having to change size. I got ComforTred tires with less than 300 miles on the Integrity tires. No wander, good road grip, MUCH quieter.

3. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Sep 5 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]314397[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - I would willing to take a hit of a couple of mpg if it would get me increased stability, and a slight percentage deviation in readings, if a slightly different sized tire would help accomplish what I want. I'm trying to figure out if I am limited to the size tire that came on the car - would it help to go to 195/60 or even 195/55, even still in a 15"?

I hope I'm making sense. Tires aren't exactly my strong suit, obviously.
    I just know what seems wrong, and that I'd like to use a change of tires to try to make "the baby" drive like I think it ought to. :) Since I don't want to do this but once anytime soon, I'd like to get it right the first time.

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ack, i personally couldn't stand the 'thin tire look' upgrade the rims if that's an option. My tires are wider than what you're looking for but in my experience I've received a huge addition to handling. :)

EDIT: In my enthusiasm... i forgot to mention the 3mpg hit on my fuel economy... :(

5. apadyk

apadyk New Member

I swapped out the oem Integrity tires at 205 miles for Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S size 205/60/15. The Pilots handle great on the mountain roads I drive, are extemely quiet and comfortable too. I run them inflated to 40/38 and have averaged 46 mpg in mixed mountain driving with the ac on (only 1300 total miles on the car). They are very close in circumference to the oem tires at 850 revs per mile vs 855 for the Goodyears. I now have 1100 miles on them and they seem to get better everyday.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree 205/60-15 is a good size if you want to keep the original rims. You will take a small mileage hit, more in city than highway driving. As Mutant said the original Integritys are 855 revs per mile, the tires I use are 847. The speedometer with the original tires was about 2 MPH fast at 70 MPH, with the 205/60-15 tires it is a bit less than 1 MPH fast. So they actually corrected the speedometer error a little. The rim width of the original rims (6JJ) is just right for the 205 size tires also.

Make sure you have a 4 wheel alignment done. Toyota should do it for free during the first 12 months/12K miles, just tell them it wanders when it goes down the road. The Prius seems (to me anyway) to be very sensitive to alignment. The alignment will also help to make sure your new tires wear properly.

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Sep 7 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]315824[/snapback]</div>
    I wanted an alignment done anyway, to see if it would improve handling. Is there anything in particular that I should look for to see if it needs a quick alignment even with these tires? It does tend to wander, that's no lie.

Would the 205/60-15 put the most rubber on the road? I've always liked Michelin tires. Should I get Toyota to put on the new tires, or where I buy them from?

Thanks for the help. :)

8. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I just looked around the Michelin site at the Pilot Exaltos - they don't mention them in a 205/60 15, unless my eyes are in worse shape than I think they are . . . I can't find it if it's there. Closest thing I see is a
    205/55 15.

???

Um - maybe I just found some in a different place. The 205/60s would be better, right? They revs are closer to the Integritys, I think.

9. apadyk

apadyk New Member

Check out this link to tirerack.com. That's where I bought my tires, though I'm sure your local dealer can get them also.

tirerack

The Hydroedge are also available in 205/60/15 but I went with the Pilot Exalto A/S because I think it is quieter and handles better though probably not as long wearing.

10. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybrid_Mutant @ Sep 8 2006, 12:14 AM) [snapback]316181[/snapback]</div>
    We don't really need the longest wearing tire on the market - we only put about 10,000 miles a year on a car. The Pilots sound perfect to me!
    Thanks.

11. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I've been looking at the Michelin Hydroedge vs. the Pilot Exalto - the Hydroedge is rated at 90,000 and the Pilot at 45,000 - that doesn't by any stretch mean that the Hydroedge is twice as good a tire, does it?

I like what I've read about the handling with the Pilot Exalto - Michelin's site recommends Hydroedge, Harmony, and Agility Touring, and didn't mention the Pilot Exalto. Any idea why this would be?

Is it all right to have a tire dealer install tires on the Prius, or does it need to be done by Toyota? I'm not sure because of the sensors. If I go to Toyota after getting the new tires on and witch about the alignment, aren't they going to tell me it's off because I put new tires on the car?
    Should I go to Toyota and witch about the handling, then tell them I'm putting new tires on it and that I want a free alignment after I do it?
    I don't want them to be able to blame the new tires, is what I'm getting at, I think.

The Pilot has a 400 treadwear rating, the Hydroedge is 800. Can anybody explain that to me, in so far as how it should affect my decision as to which tire to get?

Anybody else have an opinion of which of these two tires would fulfill the needs I have - better control and handling, as well as a smoother, quieter ride? Thanks. :) So far, there's one vote for the Pilots!

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Sep 7 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]316059[/snapback]</div>
    I have found that a bit of toe in in the front really helps with tracking. I recommend +.05 degrees of toe in on each side, total +.1 degrees. This is well within the tolerance allowed by Toyota and it really helped my car. One of the old time Prius owners who posts here under john1701a recommends this and I have had mine adjusted with a couple of different settings and the +.05 per side works best. Make sure you stress the + because if they go the wrong way (the minus direction) you get toe out and it really get flakey. You should also ask them for a print out of the alignment data, as found and as left. If your car still doesn't drive right you can post the data here and let us have a look at it. Galaxee was a real help to me when I had my "alignment problem".

The 205/60-15 is the widest tire you can put on the stock 15 inch rims and still maintain the correct circumference (revolutions per mile). You can use wider tires such as 215/45-17 but that means buying 17 inch rims. 195/55-16 will also fit nicely but it means buying 16 inch rims.

If I wanted to buy Michelins I would go to COSTCO. They may tell you that 205/60-15 is not the correct size for your car, it they do tell them to look in their alternate size book and it will be listed as an alternate for the 2004 thru 2006 Prius. You could also go to a Michelin dealer and see what they have.

Here is a good site to see what is available from different manufacturers and they have good prices also. But if you buy from them you need to find a good tire place to mount and balance them.

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Go to products/tires/shop by brands or shop by size. When you find the Michelin Exalto for example (that would be my choice from Michelin) click on specs. Then you can find revs per mile etc. When a tire has a higher tread wear number it will usually go for more miles because it is made from a harder compound. This may mean it's traction is not as good. The Michelin Exalto is 400 which is just fine.

There must be exceptions but in general a car dealer is not a good place to buy tires. They usually have very high prices on things such as tires (and everything else too).

13. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks, tumbleweed. :)

Uh - am I right to think that first I should have the car aligned, and then have new tires put on and balanced? I need to get busy getting that alignment done, if that's the way it works, because I'm surely getting somewhere past ready to get some better tires on this car!

I drove it 30 miles today, and finally figured out what I'm feeling in it that I don't like, and I don't know whether alignment or tires will help - I'm one of those drivers who has always made as few steering corrections while driving as possible. I've had cars that required very little guidance, I guess. I realized today that to drive the Prius I am constantly, unceasingly, making small adjustments, creating constant tension and strain in the arm(s) while driving, and the wrist(s). It's all over the road without doing that to try to keep it going in a straight line. To keep the car going straight, anyone watching me drive would say I was "over-correcting" the steering. I'm not. I know the difference.

I don't know if this is the result of the "wander" that so many of us have complained about. I do know I'd hate to try to drive the car on a long trip right now, just because I think it would be exhausting.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The feeling you describe is exactly what was wrong with my car. That of course doesn't mean you have the same problem but alignment is the best place to start and it may solve the problem.

It does not matter which you have done first, alignment or tires. Just don't wait to have the alignment after you get the new tires because you won't want to risk them. I expect a few hundred miles won't matter. But if you can do the alignment first then drive the car a bit, see how much it helps.

BTW I drive just as you describe, minimum movement of the steering. I could not do that when my car was mis-aligned. Now that everything is fixed I don't even have to think about it, it just goes straight down the road.

15. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Sep 8 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]316656[/snapback]</div>
    Tumbleweed - looks like I need to do some research on the problems you've had! Thanks for the input. :)
    I'd really, really like to be able to say that my car would go straight down the road like that!

16. Zeus33

Zeus33 New Member

We just got our 2006 Prius Package 4 and I am so disappointed with the cheap tires that it comes with (Goodyear Integrity). But after shelling out a lot of dough for the car I can't go out and replaced them right away. I wish Toyota would do something about it.

17. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Sep 8 2006, 05:52 PM) [snapback]316651[/snapback]</div>
    I felt the same "wander" and also felt that I was constantly having to make steering adjustments, even on a straight smooth road. I had the BT brace installed and I immediately noticed that I no longer had to make constant steering adjust as I did before. Btw, I still have the OEM Integrity tires.

18. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dancekat59 @ Sep 23 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]324029[/snapback]</div>
    I swapped out the Integrity tires for Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires two days ago - the improvement in handling is incredible, and I just flat out feel safer. Since the alignment and the tire switch, my Prius no longer drives like a small car - it drives like the car I expected to get for this amount of money.

19. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Sep 24 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]324462[/snapback]</div>
    Great choice, Claudia.

What size did you choose? Let us know what effect you observe on the gas mileage (noting the inflation pressures of the OEM and the performance tires.)

20. Claudia

Claudia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Sep 24 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]324468[/snapback]</div>
    I got 205/60/15 . . . brought them home with 35 lbs in each, going to go to 36 rear, 38 front, tomorrow, and see how that feels.