1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question: CA emissions for Prius bought out of state

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kens, Sep 2, 2008.

1. kens

kens New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've been reading this forum for a while, first time posting.

My wife and I are in Michigan for a year, and are thinking of buying a Prius or TCH then bringing it back to California, where we usually live.

The local car dealers, both in MI and CA, have been unable to tell us whether a Prius bought in MI will satisfy CA emissions standards, or whether it comes with the sticker certifying it for 50 state (i.e., also valid in CA) emissions.

Does anyone here happen to know?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All Prius sold in the US comply with 50-state emissions. (My guess is that TCH is the same.)

Since you are currently in Michigan, I suggest you visit a local dealer and look at the emissions sticker on the inside of the hood of a Prius. You should see a statement that the vehicle complies with CA emissions standards, not just Federal emissions.

However, note that the hybrid systems warranty offered on vehicles sold in CA (and the other states adopting CA emissions regs) is much better than the warranty offered on the same vehicles sold in the other states. The traction battery warranty is a good example: 10 years/150K miles in CA and other PZEV states; 8 years/100K miles elsewhere.