1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for bicycle riders

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CLJohnson72, Apr 2, 2006.

1. CLJohnson72

CLJohnson72 New Member

Some questions for those of you who ride your bicycle to the store.

1. What do you wear for the trip?

2. What do you use to carry your puchases home?

3. What do you do with your pack (or whatever you bring to carry your purchases home) and helmet when you go into the store?

4. What do your neighbors think about it?

BTW, thanks to my Prius, this site, and some inspiring individuals here, I've made some nice improvements to my lifestyle and outlook. Thanks.

2. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

Unfortunately, I live to far away from 'civilization' to bike to stores much...However, at my office (located on a military installation) I can walk or bike to stores, food, etc.

Most establishments don't mind the packs or helmets, so I just carry mine in (along with my bike seat and sometimes front tire!). Usually, the clerk at the register will want a quick glance in the pack to make sure you're not stealing anything...But often, there's not that much concern!

As for what I wear...It's my normal work clothes: dress shirt and khakis. I do wear running shoes instead of my normal footwear, though.

I use the aforementioned pack for carrying stuff back...

Not sure what my co-workers think...Not overly concerned either!

3. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Being environmentally conscious is now in ~ you read it here first! :p

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shopping on your bicycle? Way to go!

I wear normal cycling clothes and dress for the weather. To carry everything home, I use my touring panniers front and rear, along with a handlebar bag. Delicate stuff like bananas go in the handlebar bag, and the heaviest stuff like gallon jugs of milk go in the front panniers. Light and bulky stuff like jumbo cereal boxes or 24 packs of toilet paper get bungeed to the rear rack. I used to bring my bags in the store, not wanting to leave them on the bike. They were also very handy in the store, where I'd hang them inside the buggy and stop when they were full. A change in store policy required me to leave the bags at a rack near the entrance, and reenter the store with my full buggy to retrieve the panniers. After being stopped for questioning too many times (the store layout required me to leave through the entrance with a full cart of groceries), I now shop elsewhere. I was also being hassled by the parkade attendants, who told me parkades were only for cars. Curiously, the easy part is carrying all the groceries. The hard part is access.

So, you may encounter some resistance from retailers who are concerned with shoplifters, and from car-centric parkade monkeys, but this can be overcome with a friendly persistant attitude, and a willingness to take your money elsewhere if necessary. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a backpack, but carry out of the store in the bags they give
    me [which I *do* recycle] and then rearrange everything for transport
    once I'm clear of the checkout. What irks me sometimes is seeing
    the people who hang a couple of heavy grocery bags off their
    *handlebars*, and then go weaving unsteadily down the street.
    _H*

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Glad you asked!

The best shopping bike (IMHO) is the Schwinn Cruiser style. I have mine outfitted with a 7-speed internal hub and a rear rack that carries three baskets. One basket on top of the carrier and two "pannier" style baskets for the sides. The side baskets are steel wire construction, but they "fold up" when not in use.

This bike isn't very lightweight, but its very sturdy, affords a comfortable upright riding position, and never fails to get smiles and waves as I "cruise" past. And you can't beat the comfort of a springer front end and a "Schwinn sofa saddle". I added a front drum brake to mine as it came with no front brake at all.

[attachmentid=2800]

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Apr 2 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]233831[/snapback]</div>
    You've got the Chevy Nomad ('55-'57) of bicycles there, barnhart! Great looking and perfectly functional.

CLJohnson72, you said a very nice---and significant---thing about PC in your first post!

I usually limit my shopping to things I can carry in my backpack plus maybe one bulky item on my single rear rack. Thinking of adding a front basket. I just wear sweats. I live in a progressive community, so no one thinks anything of doing this.

Using a bike whenever possible, as well as for regular pleasure, is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Especially in your 60's-80's.

I can go effortless or strenuous, my choice, for free, and get well-informed on my headset radio to boot. What's better than that?

8. ribbs

ribbs New Member

The biggest laugh I've generated in recent memory was when a watermelon I had precariously balanced on my rear rack fell and exploded on the floor before I got out of the market. The manager even gave me a new one!

9. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm more of a rider than a shopper. I have lightweight road bikes, but I do use a quick release mount rear rack that mounts to my seat post. For anything that won't fit in my backpack, I use the rack. I do mostly bank ATM, Post Office mail drop, video returns, small stuff that fits in my jersy back pockets. I have done farmer's market grocery trips (pack tomatoes on top). The wierdest thing I've transported was my cats ashes from the vet, following kitty cremation. :(

On a brighter note, the Prius makes a great bike hauler. On my Impreza, I have to use a trunk rack and remove one wheel, due to proximity to exhaust pipe (from experience). With the Prius, drop the seat, and stow the bike with wheels attached. One of my main reasons for buying the car. :)

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a kiddie trailer on the back. There is actually a little trunk in the back of the trailer. Holds a decent amount of groceries. A few can go up front with the kid.

Nate

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CLJohnson72 @ Apr 2 2006, 08:15 AM) [snapback]233755[/snapback]</div>
    Great topic!

1. What do you wear for the trip?

>> Since I ride my bike every day, what I wear to the store is the same thing I wear around the house, in the car, at the movies, at work and on the bike. I live in CA... we all dress like bums. :) The only time I seriously change my wardrobe is when I weld. Learned that one the hard way. The short answer: Typically a Tshirt and shorts.

2. What do you use to carry your puchases home?

>> If I'm on a serious shopping trip, I take my daughter's trailer shown below. a full case of beer fits in the "trunk" of the thing, and without kid, LOTS more fits up front. I've held about 175 pounds of goodies in here.

3. What do you do with your pack (or whatever you bring to carry your purchases home) and helmet when you go into the store?

>> Helmet is tossesd in the trailer if I bring it. If no trailer, I'll bring a backpack, and everything goes into the store with me.

4. What do your neighbors think about it?

>> This is the only question that really scares me. Does it really matter what the neighbor's think? Bicycling is about the most main-stream thing I do. I have a solar-powered home, I've had more solar-powered EVs around here than you could shake a stick at (and many more that visit me regularly). Bicycle riding is something WAY more common than some of the other ways I get around. If I let what my neighbors thought affect what I did, I'd likely just stay inside with the shades closed.

Best news I've heard all day!

12. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Regular clothes, and I put groceries in touring panniers. Thanks for reminding me to get out on the bike more!

13. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Before the rear axle broke from overheating, I used to run to the store with the Eddie Bauer stroller. Empty going to the store. Full coming back. The most interesting looks were of course on the way to the store. And yes, I did resist saying, "You mean the baby's not there?"

The scary part is it actually costs more to run than to drive the Prius. It costs about $0.10/mile for running shoes, if you follow the suggested lifespan of 500 miles/pair. That is actually for reasonably priced running shoe. It is my opinion that price has no correlation to quality in running shoes. But if you're paying $100/pair you're paying even more per mile. The Prius costs about $0.05/mile for just gasoline. Maybe a bit more if you factor in the maintenance.

The rear axle broke when my daughter reached the maximum weight limit of the stroller. We were coming back from a nice long run and were within a half mile of the house. The axle was so hot I burned my fingers when I picked it up. I had to hold the back up as we walked the rest of the way home. I didn't get the "roadside assistance" from Eddie. From then on she wouldn't go in any more strollers. But that stroller was spectacular.

14. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I thought this was a PRIUS forum.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Apr 7 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]236544[/snapback]</div>
    You're right of course. This should be in Fred's House.... but try as I might, I can't move it. Ummmph.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Apr 5 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]235420[/snapback]</div>
    If you're going to count the cost of BUYING the running shoes, it is only fair to count the cost of buying the Prius too. Still think it is cheaper to run?