1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for Creationists

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, May 16, 2006.

?
  1. No atom or molecule would ever interact with another without direct divine intervention.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. God established the laws of chemistry and created all living things, after which the life process ru

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. God established the laws of chemistry and the first living thing, such that all other living things

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. God established the laws of chemistry such that life would arise from inanimate matter.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. There is no god.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. God is a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. God is a bowl of vegetarian spaghetti.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other. (Please post.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Every living thing is made up of chemicals, and the process of life is a mind-bogglingly complex array of chemical reactions, often involving a cascade of a dozen steps, each mediated by a different enzyme. I am interested to know whether creationists believe that god's direct intervention is required every time a molecule or atom reacts with another, or whether they believe that once god created the laws of chemistry, the reactions are able to procede on their own.

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 16 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]256305[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, you are too funny. I was having difficulty choosing among the last four options, but I voted in accordance with my serious belief (i.e., there is no god) And if in fact god created the laws of chemistry, after having taken organic in college I would have to concur with the concept of a cruel god who toys with humans for his own amusement.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh no... here we go

to those of you who voted that no reaction would occur without god's hand: i guess cocaine is divine then huh?

it all makes sense now.

:rolleyes:

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    While I admit to being frivolous in the last three options, I seriously want to know whether creationists believe that god created the laws of chemistry so they would run on their own (the "divine watchmaker") or whether chemical reactions only procede because god actively directs every single atom and molecule to react when and how it does.

The atheist option is included so that atheists don't feel the urge to skew the creationist vote. I want to know how creationists regard chemistry.

BTW, I am just over 2/3 of the way through the Learning Company lecture course on biology, and it is fascinating; and the chemical reactions are indeed mind-boggling. I recommend this course to all non-biologists. (It's university level stuff, but very basic, so biologists will know it already.)

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :lol: LMAO~ spaghetti & meatballs :lol:

6. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I voted other. It is Atom Smith's invisible hand that is behind all of it.

No atom or molecule would ever interact with another without direct divine intervention from Atom Smith.

7. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Well, I don't recall this subject ever coming up in any sermon or class I've been in. I find that option 2 best corrisponds with my understanding of the Bible and science. I interpret the Bible as indicating God created all creatures, which dosen't leave room for evolution. (Yes, I know thats a big other controversy, but that is just how I understand it.)

Secondly, God provided for free will. I have no idea what will is made up of, scientifically, but my best guess is it is chemical. Life depends completly on chemical reaction, so will is likely to as well. If God is actively controlling all chemical reactions, then free will is moot. Therefore, God created all creatures and set laws to govern the chemical reations, but not to control them.

There is my maybe good, probably illogical answer from a creationist. For what it's worth, I think the laws of physics, thermodynamics, and whatever other natural laws you can think of fall under the same umbrella.

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 16 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]256328[/snapback]</div>
    Well (snort), you do have a point there...

9. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I would have appreciated an "agnostic" option, for the same reason as for the atheist. I can't vote without being frivolous.

10. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 16 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]256328[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone once told me (back in the 60's) "God made pot, man made booze, who do you trust?"

Then I picture a giant lightning bolt... Oh nevermind, too many Monty Pythone episodes :ph34r:

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 16 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]256600[/snapback]</div>
    Oops. My oversight! Sorry.

You can vote "Other," however, and post (as you did) "agnostic."

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 16 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]256646[/snapback]</div>
    I voted "other" because I'm a creationist with a little "c", in that I believe God "created the heavens and the earth", but I also accept the evidence amassed for evolution and the origins of the universe. Truth is truth, even if one truth seemingly contradicts another.

As Father Georges Lemaitre said, much to the initial consternation of Einstein "There were two ways of arriving at the truth. I decided to follow them both." That pesky priest turned out to be right, and the expanding universe pushed Einstein's "cosmological constant" right out of the cosmos!

So I guess I would say:

In the beginning, God said "BANG!"

13. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 16 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]256305[/snapback]</div>
    My vote was number two. I would think that after God created the universe and all of those laws and such of chemistry, there wasn't a need for him to watch over every chemical reaction.

14. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This subject is related to Prius ownership, how?

15. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

fshagan, you're OK!

daniel, your first several choices were well thought out, or they wouldn't have attracted the distribution of responses they did

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Apparently, you guys don't watch "Star Trek - next-gen".
    Gods = Almighty "Q".
    No offense to anyone's belief intended. :)

17. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 16 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]256702[/snapback]</div>
    Stay away from FHP, mate. It's an insideous vortex that will suck you in and leave you wonder why you spend you life arguing philosophy with people you've never met. In many ways it's similar to crystal meth.

I'm in the agnostic camp as well. But, if I were a theist I'd definitely take the approach that God doesn't mingle with the mundane. Why on Earth would someone want to micro-manage and entire universe? Same for a deterministic universe. That's got to be the most boring thing ever (excepting various pieces by Shostakovitch). What's the point of the whole thing if you know and determine everything?

My personal view is that if there is a God, he/she/Clapton determined some laws, set them in motion, and is still waiting to see where it all ends up. This God has a general notion of where the system is headed but doesn't know the outcome of specific events/stream of events. The God might even be surprised by unpredicted situations. We are not special in this system, though we obviously plan a part.

18. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 17 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]256712[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how this subject inspires people to bring up illicit substances B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 17 2006, 02:13 AM) [snapback]256712[/snapback]</div>
    Unless he's someone like Donald Rumsfeld.

Clapton is God!!! You must be a fellow guitarist. :)

19. dsunman

dsunman New Member

...Other. (Please post.)...

Mythology as propensity for supernatural...

Aliens, as presented by Van Daniken and others...perhaps more alien mythology...

I happen to bump into people who claim that 'life on earth' is just a science project carried by some higher intelligent life-form. I wonder when will they terminate the experiment? :lol:

:)

20. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dsunman @ May 17 2006, 08:20 AM) [snapback]256768[/snapback]</div>
    DId you ever consider the possibility that maybe they did, and we just don't know it yet?