1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for other owners with Toyota's VIP Security System installed on their Gen 3 Cars

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by xinsight, Sep 8, 2010.

1. xinsight

xinsight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    --This Thread does not refer to the Theft Immobilizer System which is standard on all US cars, but to the Toyota Accessory RS3200 Plus "VIP" Security System --

Hey Guys,

For those of you who have the Toyota's "VIP" security system on your cars, does the red LED light (which is co-located with the microphone on the lower left portion of the dash near the mirror controls) continuously flash after the system is set?

On mine, though its LED remains continuously red for its 30 second "pre-arm" procedure as it is supposed to do, it then goes blank when it is supposed to "arm" and flash continuously. I appears that my system does arm, but its red LED doesn't flash at all (as it should).

I'm hoping to get some owner feedback regarding your experiences as my dealer is at a loss to explain this.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

-xinsight

2. dwhutch

dwhutch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The RS3200 can work in several models and some it will flash after arming. But in the Prius since it has the immobilizer it will do what you see. It will go on for 30 seconds then go out. It is armed and you can test it by tapping on the windshield with a key or with the window down open the door after it is armed and the alarm will go off.

1 person likes this.
  3. xinsight

xinsight New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you very much for your reply. There is a substantial conflict between how the Toyota manual describes how this system will function and how it actually does function in our Prius's. The dealer had tried to troubleshoot this on their own (because it conflicted with past installations on other models - they had no experience with it on Prius's). Though it works when tested, they felt the system was having some difficulty arming and Toyota wasn't helping them explain it either. But you did! Hopefully this thread will be useful if any other members note this issue in the future.

-xinsight

4. dwhutch

dwhutch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad to help.

5. E&CPrius

E&CPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there. We just bought a 2010 Prius II a few days ago. The previous (original) owner had this alarm installed and set to passive mode by the dealership. The alarm goes off a minute or so after leaving the car unlocked, even if the car hasn't been messed with. We'd like to change it to Active mode, but the instructions in the manual require a key to be put in the ignition, which this car doesn't have.

Has anyone been successful at entering the Programming Mode and then selecting the Operating Mode in the RS3200 Plus VIP in a Prius 2010 or newer? Thanks for any advice we can try!