1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for owners of after-market window tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by richard schumacher, Apr 24, 2005.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does it look after a year or more? Photos would be helpful. Tell us what kind, who installed it, and where you live.

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

Make sure you check your state law. ALL window tinting in Rhode Island is illegal. You might sneak by if you do lite tinting, and you might even get away with it with heavier tinting since not all inspection stations are that thorough.

But if you tint in RI, be prepared to be required to remove it the next time you got to get your car inspected. And be prepared to get pulled over by the cops.

3. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I used Huper Optik at the beginning of last summer and it still looks like a very good factory tint. I can't tell that there is a film applied unless I roll the window partway down and look at the edges. Works great in the sun.

Have you read the previous threads? Are you asking how it holds up over a long period? If so there are newsgroups that are devoted to automotive window tinting that can give you good info on tinting of vehicles older than the Prius.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Over 18 months and looks like new. If you look in my profile or at the photos at : http://www.pbase.com/efusco/prius_only

You can see how it looks. I just have one pre-tint photo (the 'deliverweb' image). Looks no different (that I can tell) today than it did 2 weeks after tinting (slight haze the first few days--as expected). I've had no bubbling, cracking, peeling at all.