1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for Prius Team: traction control on 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by was, Feb 22, 2009.

1. was

was New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Dear Prius Team,

If it is possible for you to do so at this point, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could explain how the traction control in the 2010 Prius operates. I am particularly interested to learn if the car will be able to brake an individual front wheel that is slipping in order to let the other front wheel get torque and try to move the car in low-traction conditions.

I know there are differing opinions about the capability of the current generation Prius in such conditions. But for many people the uncertainties of the current system, based on owner reports of bad experiences, are enough to rule out the Prius for our local conditions and lifestyles. I know that I would be very interested in the car if I felt that the low-traction capabilities had been substantially improved.

Knowing the basics of how the 2010 traction control system works would help a lot.

Thanks very much for any information you can provide.

Bill

2. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does Toyota say ?

3. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When it detect slips, it would just apply brakes/cut power to slow down the slippage. Once the slip stops, the power should go to the wheel that is not spinning (Due to an open differential design). Yet in scenarios where both wheels are spinning, you would get a car that would just get locked at 2-3mph due to the brakes and cut in power