1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for scanguage II owners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jonjonbear, Aug 4, 2010.

1. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello all,
    I have been reading over the manual for the SG but the "trips" part confused me, so I emailed CS and they confused me further. I am wanting to buy this to add the trip computer feature to my other car (2002 Santa Fe) I asked if one of the trips requires manual resetting so I can get tank MPG. She replied and told me this:
    The "tank trip" resets each time you gas up your tank and you do the fill up procedure (entering in the amount of gallons it took to fill up the tank).
    So you have to enter the gallons every time you fill up? I thought that was only the setup/calibration procedure. Can anyone tell me if indeed I can use this as a tank long trip computer and if so does it require putting the gallons used in every time? I did search for this but didn't find anything that addressed this specifically.

Thanks,

John

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are correct that you will reset the "Tank Trip" every fill-up. You don't have to enter the number of gallons every fill-up, but I always check to see if there is a variation in the number of gallons pumped and the amount used. I don't normally adjust this unless there is a gallon or more difference. You will see a difference as the weather changes and the temps drop or raise. This is due to expansion and/or contraction of the fuel itself.

As for the actual individual "trip" that will reset itself after the car sits for several hours (like overnight or in the parking lot at work). This is automatic and you don't have to do anything. I have my Scan Gauge set to monitor MPG per Tank, MPG per Trip, HP, and Coolant Temp. I still have my Scan Gauge in my Honda Fit, not my Prius, so if you have any Prius specific Scan Gauge questions I don't know if I can help...

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't bother w/the trips, calibration nor the fuel economy indication on the ScanGauge II.

IMHO, it's not worth the bother. I already have numbers from manual calculations and the MFD. Why do I need another set of numbers and to mess around w/trying to get it "right"?

4. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    @Paul58:
    Thanks for the info, sounds like it will suit me just fine and am glad it does have the ability to adjust for accuracy.
    @cwerdna:
    As I mentioned, this isn't for my Prius, it's for a 2002 Santa Fe which doesn't have a trip computer so wanting to add this feature. Plus the added info will be great to have too.

Thanks,
    John