1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for the AM package owners...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sean & Ian, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Sean & Ian

Sean & Ian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you add some sort of anti-theft device or Lojack onto your Prius? Do you really feel it's safe to not have any sort of devices other than the passive security system that's already installed on all models?

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a matter of how secure you feel. I live in El Paso where car theft it high (most cars go right across the border). So I installed an alarm in my truck. The F250 truck. The truck was stolen 2 weeks later. :p I did not even hear the alarm go off, probably used a flatbed wrecker to pick it up (in my driveway between 1-5 AM). If they want it they will get it.

I would look for ways to avoid theft. Park in well lit areas, use a garage if possible, etc.

Something to note when we took apart the door to install the dynamat today I noticed there was no way a slim jim could work on the door. The normal mechanism was not there (at least the one I am used to). They would have to break the glass (or use a flatbed wrecker). Luckily I did install the glass break sensor.

3. bobc

bobc New Member

There was a thread a couple of months ago about theft of Prius's. I only skimmed it but I think the gist was that this car would be harder to steal since the car starts based on a code in the fob and doesn't use a traditional key. you may want to search for that post. Search using 'codes', 'rolling codes', "Lexus'. I remember those words used.

When I bought mine, I thought about installing Lojack. But, my insurance rate would have only dropped $1 per year! That means that I would have to keep the car for 450 years before I realized a savings on installing Lojack. As much as I like this car, I think I'll trade it in before then.... :?

Cheers,

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I had LoJack in one of my cars several years ago. It made no difference to the insurance company - no discount. I haven't wasted the money since.

If I lived in a higher theft area I might look into an anti-theft device but Nashua doesn't really have too much of a problem if you avoid the malls.

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lojack will get me a discount but there is a cap. So for me if I have the alarm, GBS, kill switch, and window etching (their VIP package) I have capped out on the anti-theft discount. I did sign up for my state's HEAT (Help End Auto Theft) program. If they see your car on the road between 1-5 AM they are allowed to stop it and check for registration.

6. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Oops, sorry about the double post, I went back to clarify what package my Prius is and voila, a double post! :oops:

7. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I live in Los Angeles and must park my car on the street, rather far away from my home, so I had the super-duper LoJack installed on my car. There is no way I'd hear the my alarm going off (or if I heard it it could be one of at least 50 other cars), so if they haul it away I'll get a call from LoJack telling me my car has been moved. FYI, it did drop my insurance quite a bit, but then again this is So Cal, lots of auto theft here.

That being said, if I lived in an area with low auto theft I think I'd feel safe enough to just use a club on the steering wheel and forego the additional expense of LoJack.

FYI, I have a 2004 package #3.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody know if the Prius' alarm has a tilt sensor?

9. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the salesman it only goes off if you 1) open the door, 2) break the window (if you have the GBS).