1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for the group - transmission oil change at 159k miles?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by amahastpl, Dec 21, 2022.

1. amahastpl

amahastpl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Question for the group.

Should I change my transmission oil at 158k miles?

2013 Prius C. Nothing wrong with the car. I followed the maintenance schedule to the letter, but somehow never thought about the 'good for the lifetime' transmission fluid.

I know it's a Prius. I know it has a CVT. I know I should have done it at 30k. I know fluids degrade over time...

Anybody had a 'late' transmission oil change? Any problems? Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Mike

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're keeping it, absolutely. no problems reported here, many have done late changes

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's no big deal either way. Toyota never specified a replacement interval for the ATF. They don't think it will ever need to be changed.

Some members have changed theirs and noticed... nothing other than a lighter color in the new fluid.

It should be understood that the Prius CVT is unlike all the others on the market: there are no friction parts bathed by this oil. No clutches, no drum and band assemblies, no chain and sheave stuff, none of that. Also there is no torque converter. No friction means no particles shed and suspended in the oil. Far less heat is generated by pumping action. There is some heat from the motor-generators and this will cause the ATF to darken over time, but you'll never feel any of it from the driver's seat.

The upshot from all of that is that a Prius is far more gentle to its ATF than just about anything else on the road. Change the fluid if you feel like it- the car won't mind. But don't feel like you need to- this isn't a Subaru/Nissan/Honda CVT.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  4. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, should be fine. I took a risk and did one on my daughter's used 2012 Sienna and, after a year, haven't had any issues. (A very neglected van...I've changed out all the fluid and suspect they were all originals except engine oil...yikes.)

Make sure you only refill with Toyota World Standard tranny oil and have a breaker bar...those drain/fill bolts won't give up easy!!

valuequest likes this.
  5. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I changed one Prius at 60k miles and another Prius at 100k miles. No difference in cars' performance.

However, I changed my Camry's ATF at 210k miles. The difference was obvious.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  6. amahastpl

amahastpl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you all,

This is what a 9 year old, 159k miles Prius C transmission oil looks like.

Slightly brownish instead of reddish. No burnt smell. No suspended particles.

Damn, an amazing car...

Attached Files:

7. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Looks very good for being years old and having 159,000 miles.