1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for the HOV lane users.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jayhawker, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am just curious to know how many Prius owners here on the forum purchased the Prius just to have special use of the HOV lanes. I know I can't be the only one.

2. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

For me it was an unexpected bonus. My main purpose in my purchase was to encourage automakers to experiment away from the same ole same ole. Seems to be working.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have a full list of states that offer this perk? CA, VA, and AZ have been mentioned.

WA doesn't and won't. Our HOV lanes don't have sufficient unused capacity to even think about allowing it.

4. Sealawyer

Sealawyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I must admit. Originally, when I first bought a Prius in 2005, it was a major contributing package.

At the time, I was commuting from Fort Lauderdale to Miami so the combination of good gas mileage and the privilege of traveling solo on I-95 in the HOV lane was a pretty good perk in a new car.

It has become an even greater serendipity now since south Florida is beginning to re-institute the HOV lanes as "pay as you go lanes", and they are exempting registered hybrids from payment to travel in those lanes.

I've also found the car to be the most "gremlin free" vehicle I have owned (knock on wood):D. So, I've become a real believer in the product.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You're not the only one. If it wasn't for the HOV access I would probably still be commuting in my wife's Acura. The Prius has turned out to be a great trouble-free car for the last 65k miles, but if it weren't for the stickers I'd never have learned about it.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use of what?
    No, not me.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Similar hybrid vehicle HOV legislation is currently being considered or has recently been considered in Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Texas, and Washington State."

I am not aware of any such consideration in Washington State. As a former carpooler (15 years) and new hybrid owner, I believe such a move would be a disaster here. Our HOV lanes are already heavily used, and we have enough hybrids to bring them to a crawl.

The WaDOT's HOV FAQ explains it well.

9. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    fuzzy, I totally agree. I am glad AZ only issued out 10k of the plates. They are no longer allowing the folks who had their SUV's converted to natural gas that have the HOV plates use the HOV lanes anymore during peak times unless there is more than 1 person in the car.

I was very happy to get 57 mps when gas hit its peak last year, but I rarely drive the car the way it was intended.

10. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    the only HOV lane in Louisiana is the lane on the Crescent City Connection bridge from downtown New Orleans to the Westbank and that is only for vehicles with 2 or more people in them. We are so backwards here........! Geez........

11. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    HOV use was a key factor for me (VA).

12. nascrlvr

nascrlvr nascrlvr

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm jealous....!!

13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's just two stretches I know of with HOV lanes. One's a tiny stretch in Boston that only allows actual HOVs, another is a stretch in southern Connecticut where I almost never drive.

So no, I didn't buy it for the HOV ability.

14. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep... The HOV access was a definite factor in my purchase, but I have since fallen in love with the car in general. When I bought my car, I was commuting 47 miles each way to work. Now I commute 35 miles each way at a minimum of an hour each way WITH the HOV access. I am so dreading what my commute will be like at the beginning of January 2011 when our access stickers are no longer allowed in the HOV lanes.

15. guru_del

guru_del New Member

only reason i bought my prius. not going to sugar coat it. Only reason i still have my prius as well. 178,000+ miles on my 2001 with only regular maintenance. Saves me over 30 minutes a day on my drive to and from the office.