1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for those of you with Sirius satellite radio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by NineScorpions, Mar 7, 2012.

1. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I got the 90 day trial...and their little plan worked. I loved the thing...got use to the better stations, better DJs, and non-censored music. Keep in mind I live in a small town area...so not many great FM stations. Perhaps if I was in DFW or a similar metroplex, things would be different.

Anways, they prompted my initial contract at well over $100 per year. I ignored that mail...then one came for just over $100 per year. Again ignored. Then came the $95 dollar. Again, ignored. Then got a phone call offering $85 per year. Ignored that one. Finally, last call they offered me $35 per year. It kinda surprised me...but I jumped on it.

Now I am curious...what is the norm to pay for Sirius? After my first year...if they try to push my price back up...I will live without it. It is worth $35 for me.

1 person likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Holy $#*& Moly Batman that's crazy! I bet that's per quarter year as they typically break it down that way to make it easier to swallow/pay.

3. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was thinking the same...so I had her repeat it like three times. It is for 1 year.

4. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Most of my state is forested. I live in a fairly dense forest. We found sirius radio to be very annoying as it cuts-out a lot.

Rarely can any song play through entirely without dropping for a few seconds [maybe as long as 30 seconds] and then starting up again. Each time it starts up again with the next word. But with such drop-puts it really messes with the beat.

I went through and found some stations that I like, but are only good when the vehicle is parked.

My wife hates it though.

So we let our subscription lapse.

When they called me to get me to re-subscribe. I explained what the radio does, and how annoying it is. I think it is because I live in this state. The sales lady insisted that if I re-subscribe they could 'fix it' for me. I doubt it.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If that is the real deal that you got it is great. The best I have been able to get is the $77 per year which is about 1/2 price from normal. By the time you add royalty fees and taxes it is right at $90 per year.

I love my Sat radio and use it all of the time. It is great on trips in that you do not have to continually adjust for new stations and never have fading stations. I can drive from one side of the state to the other to visit my daughter and never have to touch a button.

The main channel that I listen to has no advertisements which is also a big plus. I will continue renewing as long as they keep giving me the discounted rate. It will not be worth it to me at the full rate.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    LOL, yeah right. They'll say/promise anything to make a sale.

The satellites are orbiting in the southern sky along the equator so the further north you are the closer to the horizon and weaker the signal is so trees, mountains, buildings can easily block it.

Here down south, the sat is nearly overhead so even forests (east Texas) don't affect it very much. It does get blocked when I park in my tree shaded driveway. :p

I'm still skeptical on that low price. I'm not doubting the OP rather the sales droid who may have either deceived him or just made an error about the billing cycle. If it is a real deal, I may have to go "cold turkey", drop my present service, and see how long it takes to get an offer like that. :cool:

7. cambridgehank

cambridgehank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We are on our third XM car. I found with the first one that they are willing to bargin, that one went down to $77 a year. This last agreement for three cars and home Internet is $150 a year. You got a great price.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a lifetime subscription, one time payment of $499. A bit much, but there are no monthly bills to deal with. I installed the Sirius/XM radio myself. I love all that it has to offer - radio dramas, Caribbean rock, internatlonal news. very few commercials. Lifetime subscriptions are not something they advertise or offer up front, but ask for it and you will get it.

The only "drops" are going through underpasses or tunnels. I love listening to consistent stations, regardless of geography.

9. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check the contract fine print on "lifetime" If I recall, it is for the lifetime of the unit and is non-transferable. So...if your car goes to someone else, they now enjoy a lifetime of free XM.

10. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was curious about that.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only time I listen is during the free trial periods. Buy a USB drive & fill it with whatever you like.

12. mbartley

mbartley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's only partially true. Sirius launched its satellites into highly elliptical orbits which have apogees, and therefore where they spend much of their time, over northern USA and Canada. One is about 45000 km directly above Hudson Bay right now.

XM on the other hand launched its satellites into the more common geostationary orbits, so they are to the south above the equator.

I'm not sure which our car receivers use. Both?

13. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone else have trouble with their presets not sticking???

14. dalspot

dalspot One foot off the grid

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got my trial extended for one year at an even better rate! They only charged me $32.87.

I had chatted online first and mentioned the $35 offer, that person said to call Listener Care and ask if my account was eligible for any promotions.

I called and mentioned the $35 offer, and asked that they check to see if I was eligible for any promotions and the rep came back with $30 plus taxes. I said yes, we will see what actually happens in 3 months, or when they charge my credit card.

1 person likes this.
  15. TheAaron

TheAaron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lifetime can be transferred to 3 units during your lifetime for a fee each time. So if you changed out the stereo you could transfer it. If you're going to go in on satellite radio, go all in and get lifetime. I'd recommend it. I think it's just Sirius stations you get. No XM stations

16. Royal5280

Royal5280 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Question - not ot Hijack the thread... Do I need additional hardware on my 2010 Prius III?

17. ghosteh

ghosteh Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lifetime is not a bad deal, but at $35 a year, a guy could pay for a 10 year subscription for much less than the lifetime. And honestly, who knows where technology or the Sirius corporation will be by then.

I did buy a used Porsche several years ago that has the lifetime subscription in an aftermarket stereo. It suprised me to find it worked, but I've enjoyed the free music for the last 4 years now! Thanks previous owner!

18. jdk0827

jdk0827 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I have the "lifetime" Sirius, u could transfer up to 3 times with a $75 transfer fee.

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Even at the "regular" price, it is well worth it not to listen to the local chatter with an occasional song thrown in.

20. clintyarborough

clintyarborough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Careful with the lifetime fine print. Lifetime can be transferred if a device dies, but there are rules about that also OEM you get screwed. I had lifetime on the factory radio on my avalanche and yes it goes with the truck, no transfers allowed. If you search you'll find many people that thought the transfer policy was more lenient but it's not. It is more lenient on the portable radios though.

So yeah, I gave lifetime Sirius and XM top package to whoever bought that avalanche. only good thing is that it still shows up on my account so I can add internet/mobile listening for a couple dollars. When the subscription runs out on my prius I'm going to change to bluetooth streaming using the mobile app (I get 4g and have unlimited) and drop the car's subscription. Then I can use pandora when I get tired of them playing the same songs over and over.