1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for those who installed mud guards...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Green Hokie, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hello again, folks. Installed my mud guards today. Very simple and everything fit perfectly.

My question is did any of you feel the need to add a fourth screw to the area where I have the red arrow in the first photo? This is the driver's side rear guard. I'm sure the three screw locations Toyota selected will work fine. I just wish they had placed the third screw closer to where I have the arrow. Seems that would make it a more secure fit.

The close-up shot in the 2nd & 3rd photo gives you an idea how "unsupported" that left side is without another screw. The gap is a bit exaggerated in the photo, but it's definitely there. I don't see this being an issue until you get some snow accumulating and freezing on these mud guards. Then, I could see the weight of the snow/ice eventually causing the gap on this left side to grow and eventually sag. Luckily, we don't get much snow in my neck of the woods. :D

Those who have had their mud guards for a winter or two, did you experience any issues in this particular area?

[attachmentid=9729]

[attachmentid=9727]

[attachmentid=9728]

Attached Files:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

Some people did.

I didn't.

And my tire wore down that corner of the guard so now I can't.

The next time I install them I will put in that fourth screw.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Add the bolt. I too, don't understand why it isn't standard. Many of us added it, and I'm glad that I did!

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's obvious from your pictures that the extra screw wouldn't hurt, and it's just plastic-to-plastic, so not difficult. I put an extra screw there.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine's dealer installed (mudguards are standard in Canada) and I have a 4th screw on for both rear mudguards so it seems like we're supplied with a 4th screw. I'd say screw it on but just note that stuff does get trapped in there (leaves, sand, other crud) so give it a good jet when you wash the car.

6. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, everyone. Looks like I'll be adding a fourth screw on the rear mudguards.

7. partsdart

partsdart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 14 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]478884[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 14 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]478884[/snapback]</div>

8. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also put the fourth screw in the rear mudguards, it should be included with kit. The front ones aren't quite so bad as far as support on the inside.

Snow build-up in the winter will be interesting to find out, mostly with the cavities in the front of the rear wheels. Looks like a lot of snow pack will be trapped and brought into the garage to melt.

9. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ Jul 16 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]479641[/snapback]</div>
    Mine only had three screws for each rear guard. Bought it from metrotpn.com

10. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wish this thread existed before I went ahead and installed mine on Friday. I too wondered why there was no screw designated for that location. But since I followed the directions to a tee, I just shrugged and figured maybe they wanted it to be more flexible in that area for some reason. Didn't think about snow accumulation behind it. Oh well, guess I'll adress it before winter when I rotate the tires at 10K.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I didn't install an extra screw and haven't had any issues.

12. noelty

noelty Member

I added the mud guards yesterday...I bought a couple of extra screws and washers for the rear guards to secure them...the fit perfectly!

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I added the mud guards and only installed what hardware came with the package, so I'm guessing I don't have the 4th screw. I do live in the mountains and even though we didn't have a lot of snow this past winter, we did have some.

I've had no issues whatsoever with mine even without the added screw. I think the guards are a great addition and help preserve the beauty of the car by the added protection.

14. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks, David. I added the 4th screw to the rear guards a while ago. Looks great and I feel they're more securely attached to the vehicle now.

15. davenjean

davenjean New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks to everyone for the info about adding a 4th bolt to the rear mud guards. I installed mine yesterday and it worked out well.

DavenJean