1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for those who Pulse & Glide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vinnysca, Aug 23, 2006.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

This question is directed to all those who are familiar with the Pulse & Glide technique of driving the Prius:

1). Do you use Pulse & Glide as much as you can? And if so, how many times have you come close at getting into an accident due to the constant need to look at the computer display?

I tried this technique and I am a bit nervous especially when I look away briefly ahead to look at the screen, making sure that I don't get any yellow or green arrows.

One would think that Pulse & Glide is not worth the risk of getting into a highway mishap. So, I just decided to not Pulse & Glide and just drive my Prius like a regular car.

Thanks.

Vince.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Pulse and Glide whenever I think of it (and conditions are appropriate). After a bit of practice, I find that I don't really need to look at the screen to determine when I'm "gliding"; there's a distinct feeling when you're gliding that you start to learn after you've done it enough.

I should say that I never use P&G when there is any obvious traffic around (it seems like the perfect way to get into an accident). Basically, I use it when the street is relatively clear and/or I won't be hindering traffic at all by doing P&G. For me, I find that I can't effectively glide when I get above 42 MPH, so I do it mostly on those surface streets with higher speed limits.

3. glenhead

glenhead New Member

HERETIC!!! BURN HIM!!! GET THE PITCHFORKS!!!

Oh - sorry.

It's fun when there's nobody around, but perhaps ill-advised in traffic. I do pretty much the same thing - drive it like a normal car, and wallow around in the fact that I'm getting three times the MPG as I would be if I were driving the Sirbubban.

Remember - all the other drivers are on the road for the express purpose of killing you...

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm familiar with the technique, but I don't use it very often on a daily commute basis. When I do implement P&G, I make sure to do so safely when there's no other traffic around. If I'm P&Ging in a no-traffic area and traffic comes up either from turning onto my road from a cross street, or they catch up to me from behind, I immediately start driving "normal" so as not to cause any potential accidents. As for watching the MFD, when you've been P&Ging enough, you can get a feel for what the car is doing and don't have to stare at the screen to verify what energy mode you're currently in...

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I couldn't resist a monty python quote after that setup... Practice P&G when there's no traffic around and you're familiar with the area, to be safe. You'll quickly find that you can really tell when you're gliding versus when the ICE is on or you've got green arrows for regen without using the screen.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)P&G doesn't work on the hwy.
    2)Don't P&G until you're very familiar with the car and can tell as well by feel what the energy screen is showing before you look.
    3)Don't P&G in traffic
    4)Yes, there's some risk, but as you learn the technique it becomes pretty natural and I find my glances at the MFD are just as brief as when I look at the speedometer or fuel guage.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 23 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]308416[/snapback]</div>
    HAHA..
    Oh and I agree with Evan. I PnG every chance I get. With that said, I dont get a lot of chances. For example, when the sign says 45mph and I'm cresting a hill in glide and dropping speed like a hippy (sorry), I accelerate and maintain speed rather than slowing to 25mph just to maintain the glide or stealth. But you'd better believe that once I crest that hill the foot lightens up and I glide or stealth down the other side if I can.

I have an odd commute. On a really good day, I can PnG like no one's business because traffic is moving at a reasonable speed and I'm hitting the lights. Most days though, traffic wants to move too fast or there's so much that it's not moving at all. Not to mention that many stoplights are at the tops of hills. I end up stopped facing uphill and that's one Heck of an dead-stop acceleration.

8. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i do that sometimes, but i dont need to look at the MFD alot...
    i think once u get used to it, u can "feel" it

9. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 23 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]308426[/snapback]</div>
    Yay, this is the answer to the burning question I was going to post tonight :D

I am by far a P&G novice, having had my Prius just under 2 months, but I have been hoping that I'll eventually get to the point where when I want to P&G, I won't need to stare at the MFD.