1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question for those with XM/Sirius under SharkFin...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SCDrJ, Jun 25, 2006.

1. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello all -

I am planning an install of the SharkFin antenna, with the "mini" Sirius antenna (that I already have) under it much like others have done with XM.

My question is this... Does anyone have detailed instructions about how they routed the antenna cable once it was inside the headliner? I would like to go down one of the rear pillars and under the rear seat, then under the center console and up to behind the dash.

Any help appreciated!

2. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

I should be doing this sometime next week. I'm using the OEM XM radio kit though. The receiver mounts under the rear seat on the passenger side. That's as far as I'll have to run the antenna wire. I'll see if I can take pictures as I run the wire. It's tight up under the headliner.

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCDrJ @ Jun 25 2006, 11:44 AM) [snapback]276492[/snapback]</div>
    There is a thread showing exactly what you want. Here it is:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...29&#entry226129

I think that will answer your question

4. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

Ok, radio is installed. Sorry only one picture.

The nut holding the main antenna on is attached to a thick washer with a groove in it for the antenna wire. Undo that and the whole antenna comes out. There are two copper clips on either side that will probably get bent out of shape in the process. You have to bend them back into shape. A bigger problem is the way it's designed to fit in the hole. I took this pic to decide what to do.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the copper clips in the pic. The two circled areas are the problem. If you just try to run the satelite antenna wire underneath the FM antenna, it's going to get crushed. I cut/ground out these two areas with a Dremel. I popped off the o-ring from around the center before doing that part.

As for the rest of the wire routing, I went to the passenger side. You can pop the plastic cover off the hatch pillar. It's held on by three molded pins into the sheet metal. After that I pulled it down by the rear brake light. From there I just went around the edge towards the front. I popped the plastic cover off of the HV battery area after taking off the D-rings. It's held on by three pins that will pull out of the plastic and stay in the metal cover. You then have to pull them out of the metal and slide them back into the plastic. Pulling this lid let me get the rest of the way around the back to the back seat. That's where the XM radio receiver is mounted.

Other than grinding out the antenna the only other pain was all the extra cable Toyota gives you for between the receiver and the radio up front. Has to be an extra 2.5 feet. A lot more than they show in the instructions

5. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I posted my installation and cable routing procedure in this thread. I didn't need to go to the center console, so you might need to deviate from what I did at times.

Hope this helps.