1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question in filling a claim when I have one already open?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. john1

john1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello, I have a question in filling a claim when I have one already open. My vehicle was hit on the driver side fender by someone who ran a stop sign about 4 wks ago. I started the claim process through my insurance before Hurricane Sandy came to NJ (but no work has been done). Know Sandy came and my vehicle got fully flooded that you couldn't even see the top of car no more. I have not contact the insurance yet of the flood since I just got my power on today but will do so soon. Know would I be able to claim for the driver that hit my vehicle & get a check for that & also do a separate claim for the flood & get another check for that? or will my auto insurance try to get the money for the damage from other insurance & then pay the difference for the flood damage? Not sure how this works or what will work best. I have state farm insurance with collision & comprehensive coverage on my auto policy by the way. Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because of the large hybrid battery, your 06 Prius will most likely be declared a total loss by StateFarm.

I would expect you might get a check from the other driver's insurance for the initial collision damage, hopefully you got an estimate completed before the flooding.

Since the repairs were not completed, StateFarm will lower the value of the vehicle that resulted from the collision damage and, if declared a total loss, only pay you the remaining value.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe it is likely that:

1) the car will be written off
    2) you will get one check covering the value of the car and your insurer will collect the value of the accident repair from the other party's insurance.

JMD likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does sound like the car will be a total loss given the flooding. However the insurance company handles it you will wind up getting the same $ amount. Say the first claim has been processed and the check for that is already in the mail they will simply send you the difference when the car is totaled.