1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on coolant level

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Crain, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was checking the coolant level today. The engine is cooled car sitting over night. As far as I can see the overflow is empty. I checked the water in the radiator and it is full right to the top. My question is under these conditions should there be water in the overflow tank and if so how much. I couldn't see the tank to see if there is a full line. I can see this little car is going to be a challenge to work ... on very very tight ... but the darn thing is a pleasure to run especially when I filler up.
    Thanks Don

2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The coolant reservoir should be full. IIRC, the full mark is around the thick seam near the top of the plastic tank. You may need a flashlight to help make it stand out, as it is some sort of "pressed" letters of the same color as the tank.

My worry is that you have a leak somewhere. The water pump on the GEN II is known for going bad earlier than most Toyotas. I had to replace mine around 60K.

Take a look around the water pump (at the bottom of the engine, up front, passenger side. Look around the pulley, esp. the engine-side and you have to look really closely and use a light. If you see white or pink deposits....

Otherwise, if there are no overheating issues, fill the plastic tank and check it regularly. If it goes down...

m.wynn and valde3 like this.
  3. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. I checked around and don't see any sign of a leak. I drove the car today to warm up the engine still no sign of any coolant in the overflow. I put in about a cup of fluid and it filled the overflow I just hope it's not to full. Even with fluid in the overflow tank its impossible to see how much fluid is in the tank.
    Don

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Take a flashlight and put it on a side of the overflow tank. Moving it on the side should easily show you where the level of coolant in it is.

5. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I would fill it back up and check again after about a week of driving to see if it drops again. Then you would know you have a leak somewhere.