1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on some audio "Basics"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TheParadox66b, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Ok, a little confused but here is what i have and what i want.

I have a JL 12" 300 watt sub that i wish to add and a 8" JBL sub that i want to get.

... I am looking at getting a JBL amp but i'm considering some others and found a little problem in my math.

This one is the one i've been studying

This amp works good becuase it meets the qualities of my sub i own, but i wish to add another Sub. The JL's "OHM-age" is 2 Ohms, which is low :unsure: And the one i wish to add is 4 Omhs. Now, if i hook these up in parallel i would get a speaker that acts as 1.33 Omhs, and the minium for this amp is 2, which is do-able and isn't good. The quickstart guide for the 301.1 has some puzzling pictures, that i can't figure out.

The first has a cable from amp to speaker and back (one complete circuit) AND a wire from the speaker to itself (looking kinda like a short circuit). The guide shows 2 speakers connected this way to its 2 outputs (2, -/+'s) and shows the speakers are 2 omhs. and the load is 2 omhs

The picture above shows the same setup without the wiring going on the other speaker terminals the subs and shows 2x "4 Omh" speakers producing a 2 omh Load.... ...2 4omhs in parallel is 2 omhs, makes sense.

If i connect the one 2 omh sub with the wire "short circuiting" itself to a set of terminals and 4 Omh on the other terminals so its just straight though, then my load is...??? 2 omhs? 3?

Why does looping the wire back through sub make the load of the system different?

Finally, if i get a 400 watt AMP, is it possible to make a setup that the JL (2 Omh) gets 300 watts while the other (4 omh) JBL gets 100 based on the impedance of the speakers? or am i losing my mind...

2. pogo

pogo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheParadox @ Jul 24 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]291594[/snapback]</div>
    The picture that's confusing you is for DVC (dual voice coil) speakers. If the speakers you want to use aren't dvc, then that picture doesn't apply and your math is correct. What the picture depicts is the two coils in each speaker wired in series, thereby doubling the impedance for that speaker. Google "DVC speakers" and DVC speaker wiring, and you'll probably get more help than I can give you.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, you probably are losing your mind. At least that seems to be what happens to me every time I start researching tech toys I want. :D

3. Well thanks alot, that makes sense now...

...your mind goes bonkers when you look at tech toys too! thank god...