1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question on the 3 Prius Trims

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kmstampe, Apr 24, 2008.

1. kmstampe

kmstampe Look out here comes Ozzie!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Toyota web site lists this as the difference between the trims.

Prius (Base) Hybrid synergy drive, push button start, multi-information display panel, AM/FM CD 6-speaker stereo, remote keyless entry system, electronic shift lever and dual compartment glove box.

Prius with Packages - All Prius features plus 15-in. alloy wheels with trim rings, cruise control, tonneau cover and dual seatback pockets.

A package #2 (Which is what I'm looking to buy) has the following options.

Package #2-includes AM/FM CD with six speakers, auxiliary audio jack and MP3/WMA playback capability, Smart Key System [1] backup camera [7] and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) [11] (HG) Cruise control, heated outside mirrors, 15-in, 6-spoke alloy wheels with trim rings, tonneau cover, seatback pockets, and 50 state emissions. )

Is the VSC, backup camera, SKS, heated outside mirrors worth the extra $2000-$3000 in your opinion?

I'm think I'd miss the cruise control in the base model and don't care about the MP3/other options.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons you can think of?

2. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes. It is worth the extra $1950 MSRP for mid level with package 2. The SKS is fun and very convenient. Cruise control is a must for me on any road trip. The Aux input was on the top of my list in must haves for my next vehicle purchase. The backup camera is cool to show people and useful sometimes. Pockets in your seats are nice storage areas. The tonneau cover is very good for heat protection and item hiding. I have zero regrets in paying the extra for the mid level with package 2. I think the tonneau cover is the only thing you could easily add if you went with the low level package.

Hope this helps.

3. kmstampe

kmstampe Look out here comes Ozzie!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for your input! Not having cruise is a put off but from reading all the posts on P&G (and I'd be one of those people trying to beat MGP constantly) that it made me think I wouldn't be using cruise control as much.

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    IMO, getting the SKS, backup camera and cruise control are well worth it - I use all three every single day.

I've only had VSC kick in a few times but I'm sure that will pay for itself one day as well.

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    VSC is one of the coolest safety features. Any future car I will get will have to have some form of stability control. It has saved my bacon many times. Occasionally, I like to drive the Prius at the limits, and VSC is a good buffer when I go over the limit :).

6. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Federal Gov't is going to make Electronic Stability Control mandatory in all new cars after some date (2010 or 2011, I think). For re-sale value, I think you want to have VSC so that you wouldn't be trying to sell a used car without it when even the cheapest new cars have that feature.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, safety has always been the number one factor when choosing a car. In this regard, I think that Vehicular Stability Control and the Back-up Camera alone are well worth the $1995 msrp differential between a base Prius and a Prius w/Option Package 2. Electronic stability control is often hailed as the greatest safety development since seat belts. And I know that if every vehicle were equipped with a back-up camera, many lives -- especially young lives -- would be saved.

And as for the other features, with the exception of the trim rings and heated outside mirrors, they're all extremely useful.

8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I kind of wondered about the mirror heaters myself. I cannot see what use they are for me in Florida. The trim rings should be listed as a liability not a feature! "we had to buy these from our brother-in-law so you get stuck with them!"

9. chriscard25

chriscard25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know the heated mirrors can be used to remove any type of condensation as well. That may help, even in FL.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, it is worth it.

The VSC, back-up camera and SKS are the "key" features in this package. The AUX connection is nearly critical to me, because I prefer to listen to my music from my iPod, and it is not an easy, low-cost add-on. The tonneau cover is an absolute "must" -- but you can add it later. The heated outside mirrors are very nice in the winter and on those foggy mornings. Cruise control is nice, but I don't use it very much. If I regularly drove on interstate highways, I might see it differently!